Diagnostics and upkeep
If new firmware versions are available for the CPs, you will find these on the Internet pages
of Siemens Industry Online Support:
Save the firmware file to the file system of your PG/PC.
For the CP 342-5 with firmware version V6.0.66 the speed for updating the firmware was
increased to 1.5 Mbps. Load the firmware file as follows:
● Load the firmware file only via the PROFIBUS interface (direct connection).
● When loading use the PROFIBUS connecting cable 6ES7 901-4BD00-0XA0 or an
equivalent PROFIBUS cable.
Max. length: 200 m
Note: The use of an MPI cable is not permitted.
● When loading us the Firmware Loader:
Windows Start menu > "All Programs > Siemens Automation > SIMATIC > STEP 7 >
NCM S7 > Firmware Loader"
Loading with the Firmware Loader
The Firmware Loader opens with the Start dialog.
1. Click the "Next" button.
The Firmware Loader opens the "Step 1" dialog.
2. Select the firmware to be loaded from the file system of your PG/PC using the "Browse"
The selected file with supplementary information is displayed in the Firmware Loader.
After selecting the firmware file click "Next".
The Firmware Loader opens the "Step 2" dialog.
3. As the interface via which you want to load the firmware on the CP select the option
"PROFIBUS direct" and click "Next".
The Firmware Loader opens the dialog "Step 3".
CP 342-5 / CP 342-5 FO
Manual, 07/2017, C79000-G8976-C146-10