90558474 SL302B.qxp:SL302B ManualENSPFR 073008
SAFETY GUIDELINES / DEFINITIONS
DANGER: Indicates an imminently hazardous situation which, if not avoided, will result in death or serious injury.
WARNING: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, could result in death or serious injury.
CAUTION: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, may result in minor or moderate injury.
CAUTION: Used without the safety alert symbol indicates potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided,
may result in property damage.
RISK OF UNSAFE OPERATION. When using tools or equipment, basic safety precautions should always be
followed to reduce the risk of personal injury. Improper operation, maintenance or modification of tools or
equipment could result in serious injury and property damage. There are certain applications for which tools and
equipment are designed. Black & Decker strongly recommends that this product NOT be modified and/or used for
any application other than for which it was designed. Read and understand all warnings and operating
instructions before using any tool or equipment.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
GENERAL SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL APPLIANCES
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS
WARNING: Read all instructions before operating product. Failure to follow all instructions listed below may
result in electric shock, fire and/or serious injury.
• AVOID DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENTS Don't use appliances in damp or wet locations. Don't use appliances in the
• KEEP CHILDREN AWAY. All visitors should be kept at a distance from work area.
• STORE IDLE APPLIANCES INDOORS. When not in use, appliances should be stored indoors in dry, and high or
locked-up place – out of reach of children.
• DON'T FORCE APPLIANCE. It will do the job better and with less likelihood of a risk of injury at the rate for
which it was designed.
• USE RIGHT APPLIANCE. Do not use the appliance for any job except that for which it is intended.
• DRESS PROPERLY. Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry. They can be caught in moving parts. Rubber gloves
and substantial, non-skid footwear are recommended when working outdoors. Wear protective hair covering to
contain long hair.
• USE SAFETY GLASSES AND OTHER SAFETY EQUIPMENT. Use safety goggles or safety glasses with side
shields, complying with applicable safety standards and, when needed, a face shield. Also use face or dust mask
if operation is dusty. This applies to all persons in the work area. Also use a hard hat, hearing protection, gloves,
safety shoes and dust collection systems when specified or required. Safety glasses or the like are available at
extra cost at your local dealer or Black & Decker Service Center.
• DON'T ABUSE CORD. Never carry appliance by cord or yank it to disconnect from receptacle. Keep cord from
heat, oil, and sharp edges.
• DON'T OVERREACH. Keep proper footing and balance at all times.
• DISCONNECT APPLIANCE. The AC Charger and DC Charging Adapter should be maintained in a readily operable
condition. To avoid damage to the unit or Adapter, disconnect the unit from any power supply when not in use,
before cleaning, during lightning storms, and changing accessories or when it will be unused for long periods of
time. To disconnect the unit from the power supply, the AC Charger must be completely disconnected from any
AC extension cord and the DC Charging Adapter.
• AVOID UNINTENTIONAL STARTING. Don't carry plugged-in appliance with finger on switch. Be sure switch is
off when plugging in.
• GROUND FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTER (GFCI) protection should be provided on the circuits or outlets to be
used. Receptacles are available having built in GFCI protection and may be used for this measure of safety.
• USE OF ACCESSORIES AND ATTACHMENTS. The use of any accessory or
attachment not recommended for use with this appliance could be hazardous. Note: Refer to the accessory
section of this manual for further details.
• STAY ALERT. Watch what you are doing. Use common sense. Do not operate tool when you are tired.
• CHECK DAMAGED PARTS. Before further use of the tool, a guard or other part that is damaged should be
carefully checked to determine that it will operate properly and perform its intended function. Check for alignment
of moving parts, binding of moving parts, breakage of parts, mounting, and any other conditions that may affect
its operation. A guard or other part that is damaged should be properly repaired or replaced by an authorized
service center unless otherwise indicated elsewhere in this instruction manual. Have defective switches replaced
by authorized service center. Do not use tool if switch does not turn it ON and OFF.
• DO NOT OPERATE portable electric tools near flammable liquids or in gaseous or explosive atmospheres.
Motors in these tools normally spark, and the sparks might ignite fumes.
• OUTDOOR USE EXTENSION CORDS. When tool is used outdoors, use only extension cords intended for use
outdoors and so marked.
• EXTENSION CORDS. Make sure your extension cord is in good condition. When using an extension cord, be sure
to use one heavy enough to carry the current your product will draw. An undersized cord will cause a drop in line
voltage resulting in loss of power and overheating. The following table shows the correct size to use depending on
cord length and nameplate ampere rating. If in doubt, use the next heavier gauge. The smaller the gauge number,
the heavier the cord.
Minimum Gauge for Cord Sets
WARNING: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK:
• Do not plug in a power supply without the bulb lens and cover in place.
• Do not put spotlight in water or other liquid. Do not place or store spotlight where it can fall or be pulled into a
tub or sink.
• Keep the lens in place.
• Do not operate this unit without the lens.
WARNING: FIRE HAZARD: Never contact combustible material to the lens.
WARNING: BURN HAZARD: Hot lens. May cause property damage or fire. Do not touch or obstruct lens.
• All halogen lights give off heat:
– Do not touch lens while operating.
– Keep combustibles away from spotlight lens. Extreme heat can cause fires.
– Never place the light face-down on any surface when lit and following recent use.
– Do not touch the lens or enclosure as it becomes hot during operation and remains hot for several
minutes after the spotlight is switched off.
– Allow the spotlight to fully cool down before storage or charging.
– Do not leave the spotlight unattended. Keep children and animals away from the work area.
CAUTION: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE:
• Use only on a flat, stable surface. When a cart is used, use caution when moving the
spotlight/cart combination to avoid injury from tip-over. Never place the light face-down on any
• Never look directly into the light or shine the light into another person's eyes.
• Keep sharp objects away from lens — it is glass and can break.
• The lens of the light blocks harmful UV radiation. Do not use if the lens becomes cracked or broken.
• Do not immerse spotlight in water.
• Do not drop or throw spotlight. It contains glass and a sealed lead acid battery.
• Use in a dry location only.
• Do not open body casing. There are no user-serviceable parts inside.
CHARGING SAFETY WARNINGS
Before using battery charger, read all instructions and cautionary markings on battery charger and unit.
CAUTION: To reduce the risk of injury, charge only Black & Decker Batteries. Other types of batteries may
burst causing personal injury and damage.
• NEVER ATTEMPT TO USE THE AC CHARGER AND DC CHARGING PORT SIMULTANEOUSLY.
• Plug in the charging adapter at the spotlight first, then plug into the charging source.
Total Length of Cord in Feet
American Wire Gauge