5.3.4 Installing and removing main memory
Before you install or remove main memory, make sure you shut down the OS,
unplug the power cord from the outlet, and wait for at least one minute. If you
install or remove main memory without shutting down the power, an electric
shock or a fire may result.
Do not directly touch the parts inside the equipment with your hand when you
install or remove an extension board. Those parts are hot and if you touch them,
you may get burned. In addition, if you touch them, they may get damaged and
that may result in failure of the equipment.
Make sure you disconnect all external cables connected to the equipment before
you install or remove main memory. Otherwise, failure of the equipment may
(1) Before installing or removing main memory
• Before you start the work, make sure you shut down the OS, unplug the power cord
from the outlet, and wait for at least one minute.
• Allocate sufficient clearance for maintenance work. Carry out the work on a flat
surface. (See "1.2.2 Installation".)
• Wear cotton gloves when you install or remove main memory.
• When you tighten or remove a screw, use a Phillips screwdriver (JIS #2) to avoid
stripping the head.
• When you tighten a screw, drive the screw along the axis of the tapped hole without
adding too much torque in order to avoid damaging the thread.
• For information about the location of the main memory slots, see "Figure 5-1 Types
and Locations of Installed Components".
• Before installing or after removing the main memory module, place the tip of the
vacuum cleaner nozzle on the top of the connector where the main memory module is
(was) installed and clean the connector three times along the connection part.
Move 3 times to absorb.
5. CHECKUP AND MAINTENANCE