5. CHECKUP AND MAINTENANCE
5.3.3 Installing and removing an extension board
Before you install or remove an extension board, make sure you shut down the
OS, unplug the power cord from the outlet, and wait for at least one minute. If you
install or remove an extension board without shutting down the power, an electric
shock or a fire may result.
Do not directly touch the parts inside the equipment with your hand when you
install or remove an extension board. Those parts are hot and if you touch them,
you may get burned. In addition, if you touch them, they may get damaged and
that may result in failure of the equipment.
Make sure you disconnect all external cables connected to the equipment before
you install or remove an extension board. Otherwise, failure of the equipment
(1) Before installing or removing an extension board
• Before you start the work, make sure you shut down the OS, unplug the power cord
from the outlet, and wait for at least one minute.
• Allocate sufficient clearance for maintenance work. Carry out the work on a flat
surface. (See "1.2.2 Installation".)
• Wear cotton gloves when you install or remove an extension board.
• When you tighten or remove a screw, use a Phillips screwdriver (JIS #2) to avoid
stripping the head.
• When you tighten a screw, drive the screw along the axis of the tapped hole without
adding too much torque in order to avoid damaging the thread.
• For information about the location of the extension boards, see "Figure 5-1 Types and
Locations of Installed Components".
• Before installing or after removing the riser board, place the tip of the vacuum cleaner
nozzle on the top of the connector where the riser board is (was) installed and clean the
connector three times along the connection part.
< NOTE >
• For information about the precautions for extension boards, see
"PRECAUTIONS 6. EXTENSION BOARDS".