* To enjoy the TV broadcast in multi channel
surround sound from the speakers connected to
the receiver, connect A or E.
Be sure to turn off the TV's volume or activate the
TV's muting function.
**If you connect the receiver to the Audio Return
Channel (ARC) compatible TV, the TV sound
will output from the speakers connected to the
receiver via the HDMI TV OUT jack. Be sure to
set the "Ctrl for HDMI" to "ON" in HDMI
Settings menu (page 82). If you want to select an
audio signal using other than an HDMI cable
(e.g., via an optical digital cord or an audio cord),
switch the audio input mode using INPUT
MODE (page 85).
• Before connecting cords, be sure to disconnect the
AC power cord (mains lead).
• Be sure to turn the receiver on when the video and
audio signals of a playback equipment are being
output to a TV via the receiver. If the power supply
of the receiver is not turned on, neither video nor
audio signals will be transmitted.
• Connect a TV monitor or a projector to the HDMI
TV OUT or MONITOR OUT jack on the receiver.
You may not be able to record, even if you connect
• Depending on the status of the connection between
the TV and the antenna (aerial), the image on the
TV screen may be distorted. If this is the case,
place the antenna (aerial) farther away from the
• When connecting optical digital cords, insert the
plugs straight until they click into place.
• Do not bend or tie optical digital cords.
• All the digital audio jacks are compatible with
32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, and 96 kHz sampling
• The receiver has a video conversion function. For
details, see "Function for conversion of video
signals" (page 31).
• When you connect the audio output jack of the TV
to the TV IN jacks of the receiver to output the TV
sound from the speakers connected to the receiver,
set the sound output jack of the TV to "Fixed" if it
can be switched between either "Fixed" or
4a: Connecting the video
Using HDMI connection
High-Definition Multimedia Interface
(HDMI) is an interface which transmits video
and audio signals in digital format.
By connecting Sony "BRAVIA" Sync-
compatible equipment using HDMI cables,
operations can be simplified. See ""BRAVIA"
Sync Features" (page 81).
• A digital audio signals transmitted by HDMI
can be output from the speakers connected to
the receiver. This signal supports Dolby
Digital, DTS, and Linear PCM. For details,
see "Digital audio formats supported by the
receiver" (page 67).
• The receiver can receive Multi Channel
Linear PCM (up to 8 channels) with a
sampling frequency of 192 kHz or less with
an HDMI connection.
• Analog video signals input to the receiver's
VIDEO jack or COMPONENT VIDEO
jacks can be output as HDMI signals (page
31). Audio signals are not output from an
HDMI TV OUT jack while the image is
• This receiver supports High Bitrate Audio
(DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby TrueHD),
Deep Color (Deep Colour), x.v.Color
(x.v.Colour) and 3D transmission.
Notes on HDMI connections
• An audio signal input to the HDMI IN jack
is output through the SPEAKERS terminals,
HDMI TV OUT jack and PHONES jack. It
is not output through any other audio jacks.
• Video signals input to the HDMI IN jack can
only be output through the HDMI TV OUT
jack. The video input signals cannot be
output through the VIDEO OUT jacks or
MONITOR OUT jacks.