90550871 Vec012CBD EN SP.qxp:VEC012CBD_ManualEN_080907
• EXTENSION CORDS. Make sure your extension cord is in good condition. When using an extension cord, be
sure to use one heavy enough to carry the current your product will draw. An undersized cord will cause a drop
in line voltage resulting in loss of power and overheating. The following table shows the correct size to use
depending on cord length and nameplate ampere rating. If in doubt, use the next heavier gauge. The smaller the
gauge number, the heavier the cord.
SAFETY GUIDELINES / DEFINITIONS
DANGER: Indicates an imminently hazardous situation which, if not avoided, will result in death or serious injury.
WARNING: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, could result in death or serious injury.
CAUTION: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, may result in minor or moderate injury.
CAUTION: Used without the safety alert symbol indicates potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, may result in
RISK OF UNSAFE OPERATION. When using tools or equipment, basic safety precautions should always be followed to
reduce the risk of personal injury. Improper operation, maintenance or modification of tools or equipment could result in
serious injury and property damage. There are certain applications for which tools and equipment are designed. Black &
Decker strongly recommends that this product NOT be modified and/or used for any application other than for which it
was designed. Read and understand all warnings and operating instructions before using any tool or equipment.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
WARNING: This product or its power cord contains lead, a chemical known to the State of California to
cause cancer and birth defect or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.
WARNING: BURST HAZARD: Do not use the unit for charging dry-cell batteries that are commonly used
with home appliances. These batteries may burst and cause injury to persons and damage property. Use the
unit for charging/boosting a LEAD-ACID battery only. It is not intended to supply power to a low-voltage
electrical system other than in a starter-motor application.
WARNING: SHOCK HAZARD:
• If an extension cord is used, make sure that:
a) the pins of extension cord are the same number, size and shape as those in the charger,
b) the extension cord is properly wired and in good electrical condition,
c) the wire size is large enough for the AC rating of the charger as indicated in the table on page 1.
• Do not operate unit with damaged cord or plug; or if the unit has received a sharp blow, been dropped, or
otherwise damaged in any way. Do not disassemble the unit; take it to a qualified service technician when
service or repair is required. Incorrect reassembly may result in a risk of electric shock or fire, and will void
• Use of an attachment not supplied, recommended or sold by manufacturer specifically for use with this unit
may result in a risk of electrical shock and injury to persons.
• NEVER submerge this unit in water; do not expose it to rain, snow or use when wet.
• To reduce risk of electric shock, disconnect the unit from any power source before attempting maintenance or
cleaning. Turning off controls without disconnecting will not reduce this risk.
WARNING: RISK OF EXPLOSIVE GASES
• Working in the vicinity of a lead acid battery is dangerous. Batteries generate explosive gases during normal
battery operation. For this reason, it is of the utmost importance that each time before using the jump-starter
you read this manual and follow instructions exactly.
• To reduce the risk of battery explosion, follow these instructions and those published by the battery
manufacturer and manufacturer of any equipment you intend to use in the vicinity of the battery. Review
cautionary markings on these products and on the engine.
• This equipment employs parts (switches, relays, etc.) that produce arcs or sparks. Therefore, if used in a garage
or enclosed area, the unit MUST be placed not less than 18 inches above the floor.
• THIS UNIT IS NOT FOR USE BY CHILDREN AND SHOULD ONLY BE OPERATED BY ADULTS.
CAUTION: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE:
• Pull cord by plug rather than cord when disconnecting the 120V AC Charging Adapter from the unit.