Digital Still Camera
Read This First
Read This First
Before operating the unit, please read this manual and "User's Guide/Troubleshooting" (separate
volume) thoroughly, and retain it for future reference.
Refer to "User's Guide/Troubleshooting"
Explains advanced techniques and what to do if you experience trouble with
Printed on 100% recycled paper using VOC
(Volatile Organic Compound)-free vegetable
© 2005 Sony Corporation Printed in Japan
oil based ink.
Checking the accessories supplied
• Battery charger BC-CS3 (1)
• USB cable (1)
• Stand (1)
• Power cord (mains lead) (1)
• A/V cable (1)
• "Memory Stick Duo"
(32 MB) (1)
• Rechargeable battery pack
• Neck strap (1)
• Memory Stick Duo Adaptor
• Battery case (1)
• Interface Adaptor (1)
• CD-ROM (Cyber-shot
application software) (1)
• Operating instructions for
digital still camera "Read
This First" (this manual) (1)
• Operating instructions
Notes before use
• Charge the supplied NP-FE1 battery pack before using the camera for the first time.
• The camera is a precision instrument. Be careful not to bump the lens or the LCD screen, and not to
apply force to it. Attach the strap to prevent the camera from damage by being dropped, etc.
Additional information on this product and answers to frequently asked questions can be
found at our Customer Support Website.
Prepare the battery pack
Insert the battery pack.
Push the back part of the battery pack gently until it clicks into place.
To wall outlet
Connect the power
cord (mains lead).
Light on: Charging
Light off: Completed (Practical charge)
If you continue charging the battery pack for about one
more hour (until it is fully charged), the charge will last
• Connect the battery charger to an easily accessible wall outlet (wall socket) close by.
• Even if the CHARGE lamp is not lit, the battery charger is not disconnected from the AC power source
(mains) as long as it is connected to the wall outlet (wall socket). If some trouble occurs while using the
battery charger, immediately shut off the power by disconnecting the plug from the wall outlet (wall socket).
• When charging is finished, disconnect the power cord (mains lead) from the wall outlet (wall socket), and
remove the battery pack from the battery charger.
"InfoLITHIUM" battery pack
Full charging time (Practical charging time)
Approx. 170 min. (Approx. 110 min.)
• Time required to charge fully depleted battery pack at a temperature of 25°C (77°F). Charging may take
longer under certain circumstances or conditions.
Insert the charged battery pack.
Open the cover.
Insert the battery pack while
Close the cover.
pressing the battery eject lever
with the tip of the battery.
Using the AC Adaptor
You can connect the camera using the AC-LS5/AC-LS5K AC Adaptor (not supplied). t
"User's Guide/Troubleshooting" (page 15). Refer to the operating instructions supplied with the
To check the remaining battery time
(power) to turn on and check the time on the LCD screen.
• It takes about one minute until the correct battery remaining
• The displayed time remaining may not be correct under certain
To remove the battery pack
Open the battery cover and slide the battery eject lever in the direction of the arrow. Place your
finger on the flange and push the battery pack out. To avoid dropping the battery pack, do not
hold the camera with the battery slot facing down when the battery eject lever is out.
Battery eject lever
To use your camera abroad — Power sources
You can use your camera, the supplied battery charger, and the AC-LS5/AC-LS5K AC Adaptor
(not supplied) in any country or region where the power supply is within 100 V to 240 V AC, 50/
60 Hz. Use a commercially available AC plug adaptor [a], if necessary, depending on the design
of the wall outlet (wall socket) [b].
• Do not use an electronic transformer (travel converter), as
this may cause a malfunction.
Turn the camera on/set the clock
Slide the lens cover or
Set the clock with the control
Select the date display format with v/V, then press
Select each item with b/B and set the numeric value
with v/V, then press z.
Select [OK] with B, then press z.
• To cancel, select [Cancel] and press z.
To change the date and time
Select [Clock Set] in the
(Setup) screen and perform the procedure in step 3 above.
t "User's Guide/Troubleshooting" (page 53)
On the clock display
• If you selected [D/M/Y] in step 3-1, set the time on a 24-hour cycle.
• Midnight is indicated as 12:00 AM, and noon as 12:00 PM.
When turning on the power
• Unless you set the clock, the Clock Set screen appears each time the camera is turned on.
• The following screen appears when the camera is turned on for the second time or afterwards.
When opening the lens cover
• If you open the lens cover too quickly, the camera might not turn on. If this happens,
close the cover and then open it again more slowly.
• When opening the lens cover, be careful not to touch the lens.
To turn off the power
Slide the lens cover or press
• If the camera is running on battery power and you do not operate the camera for a period of time, the camera
turns off automatically to prevent wearing down the battery (Auto power-off function).
Changing the language setting
You can change the screen display to show messages in a specified language. To change the
language setting, press MENU to display the menu screen. Select
(Setup) with the control
(Setup1), and select the desired language. t "User's
button, then, select [
Guide/Troubleshooting" (page 51)
Insert a "Memory Stick Duo"
Insert the "Memory Stick Duo" all
the way in until it clicks.
Select the image size for use
Select a mode.
Select the size with v / V.
• The screen above is for still images.
For movies, select [640(Fine)] ("Memory Stick PRO
Duo" only), [640(Standard)] or .
complete the setting.
On still image sizes
For details on the image size t "User's Guide/Troubleshooting" (page 13)
For printing high density images in A4 or
For printing in postcard size
For recording a larger number of images
For attaching images to e-mail or creating
* Images are recorded in the same 3:2 aspect ratio as photograph printing paper or postcards etc.
On recordable number of still images and recordable time of movies
Recordable number of still images and recordable time of movies vary depending on the image
For details on recordable number or time t "User's Guide/Troubleshooting" (page 22)
Maximum recordable image
Maximum recordable time
• Number of recordable images and time can differ according to shooting conditions.
To remove a "Memory Stick Duo"
Open the cover, then push the "Memory Stick Duo" in once.
• If the access lamp is lit, never remove the "Memory Stick Duo" or
turn off the power. The data may be corrupted.
continued on the reverse
(Image Size) to
No. of images