Digital Still Camera
Read This First
Read This First
Before operating the unit, please read this manual and "User's Guide/Troubleshooting" (separate
volume) thoroughly, and retain it for future reference.
Refer to "User's Guide/Troubleshooting"
Explains advanced techniques and what to do if you experience trouble with
Printed on 100% recycled paper using VOC
(Volatile Organic Compound)-free vegetable
© 2005 Sony Corporation Printed in Japan
oil based ink.
Checking the accessories supplied
• Ni-MH battery charger BC-CS2A/CS2B (1)
• Cyber-shot Station (DSC-ST80)
Power cord (mains lead) (1) (DSC-S90/S80)
– Cyber-shot Station CSS-SA (1)
– A/V connecting cable (1)
– USB cable (1)
– AC Adaptor AC-LS5 (1)
– Power cord (mains lead) (1)
• USB, A/V cable for multi-use terminal (1) (DSC-S90/S80/S60)
– Rechargeable battery pack (NP-
– Operating Instructions "Cyber-
shot Station" (1)
• HR6 (size AA) Nickel-Metal
• Battery case (1)
A "Memory Stick" is not
Hydride batteries (2) (DSC-S90/S80)
R6 (size AA) alkaline batteries (2) (DSC-S60)
The camera has the own internal
memory (32 MB), however,
purchase of a "Memory Stick" is
• Wrist strap (1)
• CD-ROM (Cyber-shot application
• Operating instructions for digital still
camera "Read This First" (this manual) (1)
• Operating instructions "User's Guide/
Notes before use
• Charge the supplied batteries before using the camera for the first time. (DSC-S90/S80/ST80 only)
• The camera is a precision instrument. Be careful not to bump the lens or the LCD screen, and not to
apply force to it. Attach the strap to prevent the camera from damage by being dropped, etc.
Additional information on this product and answers to frequently asked questions can be
found at our Customer Support Website.
Prepare the battery
For DSC-ST80, refer to the operating instructions "Cyber-shot Station".
Insert the batteries.
To wall outlet
Match 3/# and
Light on: Charging
Connect the power code
Light off: Completed (Remove the batteries.)
Connect the battery charger to an easily accessible wall outlet (wall socket) close by.
Even if the CHARGE lamp is not lit, the battery charger is not disconnected from the AC power
source (mains) as long as it is connected to the wall outlet (wall socket). If some trouble occurs
while using the battery charger, immediately shut off the power by disconnecting the plug from
the wall outlet (wall socket).
When charging is finished, disconnect the power cord (mains lead) from the wall outlet (wall
socket), and remove the Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries from the battery charger.
Nickel-Metal Hydride battery
NH-AA-DA×2 (supplied with DSC-S90/S80)
Approx. 6 hours
Time required to charge fully depleted Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries at a temperature of 25°C
(77°F). Charging may take longer under certain circumstances or conditions.
The CHARGE lamp may remain lit longer than six hours, but this is not a malfunction.
Insert the batteries.
Match 3/# and insert.
Match 3/# and insert.
While pressing OPEN, open the
You can use HR 15/51:HR6 (size AA) Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries/R6 (size AA) alkaline
batteries/battery pack NP-NH25/ZR6 (size AA) Oxy Nickel Primary Battery. t "User's
Guide/Troubleshooting" (page 93)
Using the AC Adaptor
You can connect the camera using the AC-LS5K AC Adaptor (not supplied). t "User's Guide/
Troubleshooting" (page 15). Refer to the operating instructions supplied with the AC Adaptor.
To check the remaining battery time
Press POWER to turn on and check the time on the LCD screen.
Battery half full
Change the batteries with
fully charged ones, or
charge the batteries. (The
warning indicator flashes.)
• The displayed time remaining may not be correct under certain circumstances.
• When using alkaline batteries/Oxy Nickel Primary Battery, the battery remaining indicator may not display
the correct information.
• When the AC Adaptor (not supplied) is used, the battery remaining indicator is not displayed.
To remove the batteries
Hold the camera with the battery cover facing upward, then open the battery cover and remove
the batteries. Be careful not to drop the batteries.
To use your camera abroad — Power sources
You can use your camera, the battery charger (supplied with DSC-S90/S80), and the AC Adaptor
(not supplied) in any country or region where the power supply is within 100 V to 240 V AC, 50/
60 Hz. Use a commercially available AC plug adaptor [a], if necessary, depending on the design
of the wall outlet (wall socket) [b].
• Do not use an electronic transformer (travel converter), as
this may cause a malfunction.
Turn the camera on/set the clock
Set the clock with the control button.
Select the date display format with v/V, then press z.
Select each item with b/B and set the numeric value with
v/V, then press z.
Select [OK] with B, then press z.
• To cancel, select [Cancel] and press z.
To change the date and time
(Setup) screen and perform the procedure in step 3 above.
Select [Clock Set] in the
t "User's Guide/Troubleshooting" (page 55)
On the clock display
• If you selected [D/M/Y] in step 3-1, set the time on a 24-hour cycle.
• Midnight is indicated as 12:00 AM, and noon as 12:00 PM.
When turning on the power
• Unless you set the clock, the Clock Set screen appears each time the camera is turned on.
• Do not touch the lens portion as the cover opens and the lens portion extends. Also, do not leave the camera
with the lens portion extended for a long period of time with the power off as this may cause a malfunction.
• The following screen appears when the camera is turned on for the second time or afterwards.
To turn off the power
Press POWER again.
• If the camera is running on battery power and you do not operate the camera for a period of time, the camera
turns off automatically to prevent wearing down the battery (Auto power-off function).
Changing the language setting
You can change the screen display to show messages in a specified language. To change the
language setting, press MENU to display the menu screen. Select
(Setup1), and select the desired language. t "User's
button, then, select [
Guide/Troubleshooting" (page 53)
Insert a "Memory Stick" (not supplied)
When there is no "Memory Stick" inserted
The camera records/plays back images using the internal memory (32 MB). t "User's Guide/
Troubleshooting" (page 23)
Select the image size for use
Select a mode.
On still image sizes
For details on the image size t "User's Guide/Troubleshooting" (page 13)
For printing high density images in A4 or
(the default setting)
For printing in postcard size
For recording a larger number of images
For attaching images to e-mail or creating
* Images are recorded in the same 3:2 aspect ratio as photograph printer paper or postcards, etc.
On recordable number of still images and recordable time of movies
Recordable number of still images and recordable time of movies vary depending on the image
For details on recordable number or time t "User's Guide/Troubleshooting" (page 22)
Maximum recordable image
• Number of recordable images and time can differ according to shooting conditions.
(Setup) with the control
To remove a "Memory Stick"
When the access lamp is lit
Never open the cover or turn off the power. The data may be corrupted.
Insert the "Memory Stick" all the way in until it clicks.
Select the size with v/V.
• The screen above is for still images.
For movies, select [640(Fine)] ("Memory Stick
PRO" only), [640(Standard)] or .
(Image Size) to
complete the setting.
No. of images
Maximum recordable time
Open the cover, then push the "Memory Stick" in once.
continued on the reverse