Maintenance and precautions
On use and care
• Do not use or store the camcorder and accessories
in the following locations.
– Anywhere extremely hot or cold or humid
places. Never leave them exposed to
temperatures above 60°C (140°F), such as
under direct sunlight, near heaters or in a car
parked in the sun. They may malfunction or
– Near strong magnetic fields or mechanical
vibration. The camcorder may malfunction.
– Near strong radio waves or radiation. The
camcorder may not record properly.
– Near AM receivers and video equipment. Noise
– On a sandy beach or anywhere dusty. If sand or
dust gets in your camcorder, it may
malfunction. Sometimes this malfunction
cannot be repaired.
– Near windows or outdoors, where the LCD
screen or the lens may be exposed to direct
sunlight. This damages the inside of the LCD
• Operate your camcorder on DC 7.2 V (battery
pack) or DC 8.4 V (AC Adaptor).
• For DC or AC operation, use the accessories
recommended in this instruction manual.
• Do not let your camcorder get wet, for example,
from rain or sea water. If your camcorder gets wet,
it may malfunction. Sometimes this malfunction
cannot be repaired.
• If any solid object or liquid gets inside the casing,
unplug your camcorder and have it checked by a
Sony dealer before operating it any further.
• Avoid rough handling, disassembling, modifying,
physical shock, or impact such as hammering,
dropping or stepping on the product. Be
particularly careful of the lens.
• Keep the POWER switch setting to OFF (CHG)
when you are not using your camcorder.
• Do not wrap your camcorder with a towel, for
example, and operate it. Doing so might cause
heat to build up inside.
• When removing the mains lead, pull it by the plug
and not the cord.
• Do not damage the mains lead such as by placing
anything heavy on it.
• Keep metal contacts clean.
• Keep the Remote Commander and button-type
battery out of children's reach. If the battery is
accidentally swallowed, consult with a doctor
• If the battery electrolytic liquid has leaked,
– consult with your local authorized Sony service
– wash off any liquid that may have contacted
– if any liquid gets in your eyes, wash with plenty
of water and consult with a doctor.
When not using your camcorder for a long
• Occasionally turn it on and let it run such as by
playing back images or recording for about three
• Use up the battery pack completely before storing
If your camcorder is brought directly from a
cold place to a warm place, moisture may
condense inside your camcorder. This may
cause malfunction to your camcorder.
Note on moisture condensation
Moisture may condense when you bring your
camcorder from a cold place into a warm
place (or vice versa) or when you use your
camcorder in a humid place as follows:
• You bring your camcorder from a ski slope into a
place warmed up by a heating device.
• You bring your camcorder from an air conditioned
car or room into a hot place outside.
• You use your camcorder after a squall or a shower.
• You use your camcorder in a hot and humid place.
How to prevent moisture condensation
When you bring your camcorder from a cold
place into a warm place, put your camcorder
in a plastic bag and seal it tightly. Remove
the bag when the air temperature inside the
plastic bag has reached the surrounding
temperature (after about one hour).
If moisture condensation has occurred
Leave the camcorder tuned off for about an
hour until moisture condensation disappears.