Notes on use
• The camcorder is not dust proofed, drip proofed
or waterproofed. See "Precautions" (p.31).
• To prevent the hard disk from being broken or
recorded images from being lost, do not remove
the battery pack or AC Adaptor from the
camcorder when either of the respective lamps of
the POWER switch (p.12) or the ACCESS lamp*
• Before starting to record, test the recording
function to make sure the image and sound are
recorded without any problems.
• Compensation for the contents of recordings
cannot be provided, even if recording or playback
is not possible due to a malfunction of the
• TV color systems differ depending on the
countries/regions. To view your recordings on a
TV, you need a NTSC system-based TV.
• Television programs, films, video tapes, and other
materials may be copyrighted. Unauthorized
recording of such materials may be contrary to
the copyright laws. You cannot dub copyright
protected software on your camcorder.
Save all your recorded image data
• In the case of your image data being damaged,
save all your recorded images. It is recommended
that you save the image data on a DVD using your
computer*. Also, you can save it using VCR/DVD
• It is recommended that you save your image data
periodically after recording.
Do not apply shock or vibration to your
• The hard disk of the camcorder may not be
recognized, or recording or playback may not be
On the drop sensor
• To protect the internal hard disk from the shock
by dropping, the camcorder has the drop sensor
function*. When a drop occurs, or under a non-
gravity condition, the block noise to protect the
camcorder may also be recorded. If the drop
sensor catches a drop repeatedly, recording/play
back may be stopped.
Note on operational temperatures
• When the temperature of the camcorder becomes
extremely high or extremely low, you may not
record or playback the camcorder to provide
protection to the camcorder. In case of this, a
message appears on the LCD screen (p.29).
Note on connecting the camcorder to a
• Do not format the hard disk of the camcorder
using the computer. It may not operate correctly.
Note on using the camcorder in
• Do not turn on the camcorder in a low-pressure
area, where its altitude is more than 3,000 meters
(9,800 feet). This may damage the hard disk drive
of your camcorder.
Note on disposal/transfer
• If you perform [HDD FORMAT]* or formatting
the camcorder, you may not delete data from the
hard disk completely. When you transfer the
camcorder, it is recommended that you perform
[EMPTY HDD]* to make it difficult to recover
your data. In addition to the above, when you
dispose of the camcorder, it is recommended that
you destroy the actual body of the camcorder. This
may prevent data recovery on the hard disk of the
On this manual
• The images of the LCD screen used on this manual
are captured using a digital still camera, and thus
may appear different from what you see.
• The illustrations used on this manual are based
on the model DCR-SR80.
• The on-screen displays in each local language are
used for illustrating the operating procedures.
Change the screen language before using your
camcorder if necessary.*
• The screenshots in this manual are from Windows
XP. The scenes may vary depending on the
operating system of the computer.
*Refer to "Handycam Handbook" (PDF).