V48A,F,J; V88A,J DIAPHRAGM GAS VALVES
1/4 IN. (6 MM)
1/4 IN. (6 MM)
CAN ALSO BE A PERMANENT PETCOCK.
PRV = PRESSURE REGULATING VALVE.
SSOV = SAFETY SHUTOFF VALVE.
USE THE DOWNSTREAM TAP ON THE SS0V.
Fig. 16. Valve leak test.
1. De-energize the control system to assure that there is
no power to the safety shutoff valve (C) shown in Fig. 7.
2. Close the upstream manual gas cock (A).
3. Make sure the manual test petcock (F) is closed in the
leak test tap assembly (D).
4. Remove the leak test tap plug and connect the test
apparatus to the Leak Tap (D).
5. Close the downstream manual gas cock (E).
6. Open the upstream manual gas cock (A).
7. Run the safety shutoff valve (C) to its fully open position
(through the safety system); then immediately
de-energize the system to close the valve.
8. Immerse a 1/4 in. tube vertically 1/2 in. (12.7 mm) into
a jar of water.
9. Slowly open the test petcock (F).
Automation and Control Solutions
Honeywell International Inc.
Honeywell Limited-Honeywell Limitée
1985 Douglas Drive North
35 Dynamic Drive
Golden Valley, MN 55422
JAR OR GLASS
10. When the rate of bubbles coming through the water
stabilizes, count the number of bubbles appearing
during a ten-second period. Each bubble appearing
during a ten-second period represents a flow rate of
approximately 0.001 cfh.
To meet U.S. requirements, leakage must not exceed the
values listed in Table 5.
Table 5. Allowable Leakage for V48/V88 Valves.
Natural gas: multiply air by 1.25.
Bubble leakage: Divide natural gas by 573, then multiply by
NOTE: For international leak test requirements, contact
the office of the appropriate approval agency.
After the test:
11. Close the upstream manual gas cock (A).
12. Close the test petcock (F), remove the test apparatus,
and replace the leak test tap plug (D).
13. Open the upstream manual gas cock (A) and energize
the safety shutoff valve (C).
14. Test with soap bubbles to assure that there is no leak
at the test tap (D).
15. De-energize the safety shutoff valve (C).
16. Open the downstream manual gas cock (E).
17. Restore the system to normal operation. If two safety
shutoff valves are utilized, each V48/V88 valve is to be
checked for tightness of closure.
Natural Gas (
sec.; Max @