When a Self-Test is initiated, the EGPWC first checks for any
configuration (installation or database) errors. If any are
detected it is audibly enunciated and the test is terminated. If
none detected, the test continues through a sequence resulting
in turning on and off all system annunciators, enunciating
specific audio messages, and if enabled, displaying a video
test pattern on the terrain display (see illustration below). Any
functions determined inoperative are also enunciated (e.g.,
automatically at its conclusion
The following is a description of the expected results of a
typical Level 1 Self-Test. Actual annunciation nomenclature
and sequence may differ depending on the installation.
• GPWS INOP, W/S INOP, and TERR INOP annunciators
• Amber caution ("BELOW G/S" or "GPWS") annunciators
• "GLIDESLOPE" is announced over speaker.
• Amber annunciators turn off.
• G/S CANCEL annunciators turn on (if installed).
• G/S CANCEL annunciators turn off.
• Red warning ("PULL UP" or "GPWS") annunciators turn
• "PULL UP" is announced over speaker.
• Red warning annunciators turn off.
• Red Windshear warning annunciators turn on.
• (Siren) "WINDSHEAR, WINDSHEAR, WINDSHEAR" is
• Red Windshear warning annunciators turn off.
• Amber Windshear caution annunciators turn on (if installed
• Amber Windshear caution annunciators turn off.
• Red warning ("PULL UP" or "GPWS") Terrain Awareness
• "TERRAIN, TERRAIN, PULL UP" is announced over
• Red warning Terrain Awareness annunciators turn off.
• Amber alert Terrain Awareness annunciators momentarily
announced over speaker.
annunciators turn on.
turn on, then off.
Mark V and Mark VII EGPWS Pilot's Guide
Rev H, August 2011