Create a grounding concept and integrate the drive within it. The grounding concept must take
into consideration national provisions and system specifics. Ensure that the following criteria
● The drive sub-units must be screwed together with good conductivity on the construction
● If grounding bars are provided, these must be connected together.
● When the drive is supplied with power, the protective earth conductor must be connected
Installation site safety
Unsafe installation sites
This drive is used in industrial high-voltage installations. Improper use, incorrect operation,
insufficient maintenance, and access by unauthorized persons can lead to accidents. The
results can be death, serious bodily injury or damage to property.
● Install the drive in electrical rooms where only qualified personnel have access. If this is
● Put up notices which indicate that only trained personnel are allowed to operate the drive
Installations that include drive drives need to be equipped with additional monitoring and
protection equipment to fulfill the safety requirements, e.g. technical equipment regulations,
accident prevention regulations, etc.
SINAMICS SM120 6SL38715
Operating Instructions 07/2015
to the system's grounding point. Select the cross-section of the protective ground conductor
from one of the following variants:
– According to local wiring regulations
– Calculated according to IEC 60364-5-54, 543.1
– Half a phase conductor cross-section
not possible, then ensure that a barrier prevents uncontrolled access. Use safety fences
and appropriate signs, for example, to prevent unauthorized entry to the zone that has
been fenced off.
and carry out maintenance and repair work.
2.6 Information for persons responsible for plants and systems