Supersedes Issue of
Class 87 pump control panels include a Class 14 magnetic
starter with either a circuit breaker or a fusible disconnect
switch, a START push button and a HAND-STOP-AUTO selector
switch. These components are mounted in a NEMA 3R weath-
er resistant enclosure with a gasketed door that can be easily
removed. Sizes 1 through 4 are furnished with a watertight con-
duit hub on top and conduit knockouts on the bottom.
The Class 87 pump control panel can be supplied with either
Class 10 ESP100 quick trip solid state overload or a ambient
temperature compensated bimetal overload.
Enclosures for Sizes 1 through 4 are furnished with pole mount-
ing brackets: Size 5 with floor mounting legs. Size 6 is base
Pump panel optional accessories include back-spin timers, light-
ning arresters, control transformers, auxiliary interlocks, pilot
lights, fuse clip kits and undervoltage relays.
1. Examine each device on the panel for shipping damage and
if any is noted, notify carrier for claim. Do not apply power
to any damaged device.
2. Operate disconnect switch or circuit breaker with external
handle to verify operation.
3. Manually operate magnetic starter to determine that moving
parts do not bind.
4. Check horsepower and current rating of motor or other load
with pump control panel rating.
5. Install in conformance with National Electric Code and any
applicable local electric codes. Install the proper size dual
element fuses in the disconnect switch (fuses are not sup-
plied as part of pump control panels).
6. Firmly fasten enclosure to solid mounting surface.
7 . Install conduits and necessary grounding means and wire
pump control panel in accordance with the wiring diagram
supplied. Joint compound or the equivalent is recommend-
ed on conduit threads to prevent water from entering pump
control panel. If top conduit hub is not used, be sure to plug
it securely to prevent entrance of water.
8. Check that all wiring is secure and does not interfere with
proper operation of any devices.
9. Check that all wiring connections are tight, including factory
10. Refer to the heater table on the door of the enclosure and
install the proper overload heaters for the specific motor
being controlled (heaters are not supplied as part of pump
Siemens Energy & Automation, Inc. 1000 McKee Street Batavia, Illinois 60510
THESE INSTRUCTIONS DO NOT PURPORT TO COVER ALL DETAILS OR VARIATIONS IN EQUIPMENT, NOR TO PROVIDE FOR EVERY POSSIBLE
CONTINGENCY TO BE MET IN CONNECTION WITH INSTALLATION, OPERATION OR MAINTENANCE. SHOULD FURTHER INFORMATION BE
DESIRED OR SHOULD PARTICULAR PROBLEMS ARISE WHICH ARE NOT COVERED SUFFICIENTLY FOR THE PURCHASER'S PURPOSES, THE
MATTER SHOULD BE REFERRED TO THE LOCAL SIEMENS SALES OFFICE.
THE CONTENTS OF THIS INSTRUCTION MANUAL SHALL NOT BECOME PART OF OR MODIFY ANY PRIOR OR EXISTING AGREEMENT, COM-
MITMENT OR RELATIONSHIP . THE SALES CONTRACT CONTAINS THE ENTIRE OBLIGATION OF SIEMENS. THE WARRANTY CONTAINED IN
THE CONTRACT BETWEEN THE PARTIES IS THE SOLE WARRANTY OF SIEMENS. ANY STATEMENTS CONTAINED HEREIN DO NOT CREATE
NEW WARRANTIES OR MODIFY THE EXISTING WARRANTY.
For replacement parts information or an application guide, visit
our website at www.sea.siemens.com or contact your local
Siemens sales office.
11. Make a final installation check of steps 1 through 10 and
remove any foreign material from the enclosure.
12. Close and latch door before applying power.
13. Apply power by placing the disconnect handle in the ON
14. Rotate selector switch to HAND position and depress
15. Check for proper pump motor rotation. Motor rotation can
be reversed by interchanging any two (motor) leads at the
starter load connections.
Can cause death, serious personal
injury, or property damage.
Disconnect power before working on
In many applications, the magnetic control can be expected to
be trouble free during the entire operating life of the pump.
Routine inspection and maintenance as follows will help to
1. Periodically clean the inside of the enclosure by blowing out
dust, etc. which may have accumulated.
(For Engineering Reference Only - Rev. E)