Should you encounter a problem with
your system, find your problem in the
troubleshooting checklist below and take
the corrective action.
If the problem persist, consult your
nearest Sony dealer.
Note that if service personnel changes
some parts during repair, these parts may
If "PROTECT" appears in the
Immediately unplug the power cord,
and check the following items.
• Are you using only the supplied
• Is anything blocking the ventilation
holes of the unit?
After checking the above items and
fixing any problems, plug in the power
cord again and turn on the system. If
the issue persists, consult your nearest
The clock or timer setting is canceled.
• The power cord is disconnected or a
power failure occurred. Set the clock
(page 11) and timer (page 22) again.
There is no sound.
• Adjust the volume.
• Check the speaker connections (page 8).
• Check the connection of the optional
equipment, if any (page 8).
• Turn on the connected equipment.
• There is no audio output during
There is no microphone sound.
• Adjust the microphone volume.
• Make sure the microphone is connected
to the MIC jack correctly.
• Make sure the microphone is turned on.
There is severe hum or noise.
• A TV or VCR is placed too close to the
unit. Move the unit away from the
source of noise.
• Connect the unit to a different wall
• Install a noise filter (commercially
available) to the power cord.
• Turn off surrounding electrical
The timer does not function.
• Check the timer setting and set the
correct time (page 22).
• Cancel the Sleep Timer function
The remote control does not function.
• Remove the obstacles between the
remote control and the unit.
• Move the remote control closer to the
• Point the remote control at the unit's
• Replace the batteries (R6/size AA).
• Move the unit away from the
There is acoustic feedback.
• Reduce the volume.
• (MHC-GTR888/MHC-GTR777 only)
Move the microphone away from the
speakers or change the direction of the
"CHILD LOCK" appears when you
press any button on the unit.
• Set the Child Lock function to off
"CONNECT ALL SPEAKERS AND
CHANGE VOL" appears.
• Check that all speakers are connected.