Checking the Battery
CAUTION: Sulfuric acid in battery electrolyte
is poisonous. It is strong enough to burn skin,
eat holes in clothing, and cause blindness if
splashed into eyes. Wear eye protection and
avoid spilling or dripping electrolyte.
Flush eyes with water for 15-30 minutes if acid
is splashed into eyes.
If acid is swallowed, get medical attention
DO NOT attempt to open, add fluid or service
battery. Any attempt to do so will void
warranty and lead to possible injury.
NOTE: This is a maintenance free battery, do not
attempt to open or service battery in any way.
• Keep battery and terminals clean.
• Keep battery bolts tight.
• Keep small vent holes open.
• Recharge, if necessary, at 6–10 amperes for 1 hour.
(See Charging the Battery in this section.)
Removing and Installing the Battery
CAUTION: Always remove negative (–)
battery cable first, and install it last, to
prevent electrical short circuit to chasis.
1. Turn ignition key off and raise hood.
2. Remove rubber hold-down strap (A).
3. Disconnect negative (–) battery cable (B).
4. Remove red cover (C) from positive (+) battery
terminal. Remove positive (+) cable and blue harness
wire (D) from battery.
5. Remove battery.
6. Install the battery following these steps in reverse
order. (See Check and Connect the Battery in the
Service Electrical - Page 49