Under the Hood
Opening the Hood
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and apply the electric parking brake.
2. Pull the hood release handle under the lower left corner of the
3. Push the hood latch lever in the center of the hood to release the lock
mechanism, and open the hood.
4. Lift the hood up most of the way. The hydraulic supports lift it up the rest
of the way and hold it up.
When closing the hood, lower it to approximately 12 inches (30 cm) and
press firmly down with your hands.
Do not open the hood when the wiper arms are raised. The hood will strike
the wipers, and may damage either the hood or the wipers.
Engine Compartment Cover
The component parts in the engine compartment are protected by a cover.
You may need to remove the cover when you perform certain maintenance
Starting at either side, lift the outermost edge of the engine compartment
cover. Pull up on the cover, and remove it from the pins. Move towards the
opposite side while applying uniform upward pressure.
Park the vehicle on level ground. Wait approximately three minutes after turning
the engine off before you check the oil.
Checking the Oil
1. Open the hood see Opening the Hood. Remove the dipstick (orange
2. Wipe the dipstick with a clean cloth or paper towel.
3. Insert the dipstick all the way back into its hole.
4. Remove the dipstick again, and check the level. It should be between the
upper and lower marks.
Add oil if necessary.
Recommended Engine Oil
• Genuine Honda Motor Oil