Learn about basic maintenance that you can perform on the vehicle yourself, as
well as information about how to best maintain the vehicle.
Some of the most important safety precautions are listed below however, we
cannot warn you of every conceivable hazard that can arise in performing
maintenance. Only you can decide whether or not you should perform a given
• To reduce the possibility of fire or explosion, keep cigarettes, sparks, and
flames away from the battery and all fuel-related parts.
• Never leave rags, towels, or other flammable objects under the hood.
Heat from the engine and exhaust can ignite them, causing a fire.
• To clean parts, use a commercially available degreaser or parts cleaner,
• Wear eye protection and protective clothing when working with the
battery or compressed air.
• Do not run the engine in confined spaces where carbon monoxide gas
• The vehicle must be stationary and parked on level ground with the
parking brake set and the engine off.
• Be aware that hot parts can burn you.
• Be aware that moving parts can injure you.
Improperly maintaining this vehicle or failing to correct a problem before
driving can cause a crash in which you can be seriously hurt or killed.
Always follow the inspection and maintenance recommendations
according to the schedules in this guide.
Failure to properly follow maintenance instructions and precautions can
cause you to be seriously hurt or killed.
Always follow the procedures and precautions in this guide.
When maintenance is due, the system message indicator comes on and a
message appears on the display every time you turn the vehicle on.
• Independent of the Maintenance Minder information, replace the brake fluid
every 3 years.
• Independent of the Maintenance Minder information, adjust the valves during
services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy.
Maintenance, replacement, or repair of emissions control devices and systems
may be done by any automotive repair establishment or individuals using parts
that are certified to EPA standards.
According to state and federal regulations, failure to perform maintenance on
the maintenance main items marked with # will not void your emissions
warranties. However, all maintenance services should be performed in
accordance with the intervals indicated by the multi-information display.
Maintenance Minder Service Codes
These codes indicate what services are due on your vehicle.