Danger to life caused by high leakage currents for an interrupted protective conductor
The drive components conduct a high leakage current via the protective conductor.
Touching conductive parts when the protective conductor is interrupted can result in death
or serious injury.
• Dimension the protective conductor as stipulated in the appropriate regulations.
Dimensioning the protective conductor
Observe the local regulations for protective conductors subject to an increased leakage
current at the installation site.
The minimum cross-section of the protective conductor
section of the line feeder cable:
● Line feeder cable ≤ 16 mm
⇒ Minimum cross-section of the protective conductor = cross-section of the line feeder
● 16 mm² < line feeder cable ≤ 35 mm
⇒ Minimum cross-section of the protective conductor = 16 mm
● Line feeder cable > 35 mm
⇒ Minimum cross-section of the protective conductor = ½ cross-section of the line feeder
Additional requirements placed on the protective conductor
● For permanent connection, the protective conductor must fulfill at least one of the
– The protective conductor is routed so that it is protected against damage along its
Distributed converter for SIMOGEAR geared motors
Operating Instructions, 09/2017, FW V4.7.9, A5E31298649B AH
Protective conductor for line feeder cables
Protective conductor for inverter line feeder cables
Protective conductor between PE and the electrical cabinet
4.3 Electrical Installation
depends on the cross-