For Your Safety
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules.
The AC power plug is polarized (one blade is
Operation is subject to the following two
wider than the other) and only fits into AC
conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful
power outlets one way. If the plug won't go
interference, and (2) this device must accept any
into the outlet completely,
interference received, including interference that
turn the plug over and try to
may cause undesired operation.
insert it the other way. If it
In accordance with FCC requirements, changes or
still won't fit, contact a
modifications not expressly approved by Thomson
qualified electrician to
Inc. could void the user's authority to operate this
change the outlet, or use a
different one. Do not attempt to bypass
This device generates and uses radio frequency
(RF) energy, and if not installed and used properly,
this safety feature.
this equipment may cause interference to radio
and television reception.
Main plug is used as the disconnect device, it
shall remain readily operable and should not be
If this equipment does cause interference to radio
obstructed during intended used. To be
or television reception (which you can determine
completely disconnected the apparatus from
by unplugging the unit), try to correct the
supply mains, the main plug of the apparatus
interference by one or more of the following
shall be disconnected from the mains socket
• Re-orient the receiving antenna (that is, the
antenna for the radio or television that is
"receiving" the interference).
• Move the unit away from the equipment that
is receiving interference.
• Plug the unit into a different wall outlet so that
T H E
L I G H T N I N G
CAUTION: TO REDUCE THE
the unit and the equipment receiving
FLASH AND ARROW-
RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK,
HEAD WITHIN THE
D O N O T R E M O V E C O V E R
interference are on different branch circuits.
T R I A N G L E I S
( O R B A C K ) . N O U S E R -
W A R N I N G
S I G N
If these measures do not eliminate the
S E RV I C E A B L E PA R T S I N -
ALERTING YOU OF
S I D E . R E F E R S E RV I C I N G
" D A N G E R O U S
interference, please consult your dealer or an
T O Q U A L I F I E D S E R V I C E
experienced radio/television technician for
additional suggestions. Also, the Federal
SEE MARKING ON BOTTOM / BACK OF PRODUCT
Communications Commission has prepared a
TO PREVENT FIRE OR ELECTRICAL
helpful booklet, "How To Identify and Resolve
SHOCK HAZARD, DO NOT EXPOSE THIS PRODUCT
TO RAIN OR MOISTURE.
Radio TV Interference Problems." This booklet is
available from the U.S. Government Printing
Office, Washington, DC 20402. Please specify
stock number 004-000-00345-4 when ordering
Operating the Radio
1. Use the VOLUME (VOL) wheel to turn the radio on.
2. Select FM or AM with the band switch.
3. Use the TUNING wheel to select your desired station.
4. Adjust the VOLUME (VOL) wheel to a comfortable listening level.
5. Use the VOLUME (VOL) wheel to turn the radio off.
The Automatic Frequency Control (AFC) helps to keep the radio locked on the FM station to
which it is tuned.
When tuning in FM stations, you may notice that some stations can be heard on two or three
nearby points on the dial. Always tune carefully to the loudest and clearest point.
This radio has a built-in AM antenna and a telescoping whip antenna for FM. Since the built-
in AM antenna is somewhat directional, it may be necessary on weaker AM stations to rotate
the radio slightly until you get the best possible reception.
When listening to FM programs, be sure to fully extend all the sections of the whip antenna.
NOTE: To avoid damaging the whip antenna, always lower the antenna one section at a
time, starting with the largest diameter section. Do not push on the end of the antenna as
this may cause buckling or bending.
Comercializadora Thomson de México, S.A. de C.V.
Álvaro Obregón No. 151. Piso 13.
Col. Roma. Delegación Cuauhtémoc
C.P. 06700. México, D.F.
Printed in China / Impreso en China
Before you begin
This portable radio operates on regular household power (120V AC) or 4 "AA" batteries. The
batteries - not included - and the AC line cord are housed in separate compartments in the
Remove the battery door by pushing the tabs down and swinging the door out.
1. Insert the batteries into the battery compartment. Be sure to match the polarity of the
batteries with the diagram.
2. Replace compartment door.
NOTE: After a radio has been used extensively on batteries, the quality of the sound may
deteriorate and volume may decrease. When this happens, remove old batteries and replace
with a complete new set.
Important Battery Information
• Dispose of batteries in the proper manner, according to federal, state, and local
• Any battery may leak electrolyte if mixed with a different battery type, if inserted
incorrectly, if all batteries are not replaced at the same time, if disposed of in fire, or if an
attempt is made to charge a battery not intended to be recharged.
• Discard leaky batteries immediately. Leaking batteries can cause skin burns or other
RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK
DO NOT OPEN
• Always remove the batteries if worn out, when storing the radio for more than 30 days or
POINT WITHIN THE
T R I A N G L E I S A
using AC power continually as the batteries may leak chemicals that can badly damage
ALERTING YOU OF
the electronic components and the cabinet.
I M P O R T A N T
I N S T R U C T I O N S
A C C O M PA N Y I N G
T H E
P R O D U C T.
1. Remove the AC power cord from the cord compartment on the back of the unit.
2. Plug the power cord into 120V AC outlet. If batteries are installed, the radio will
automatically convert from battery operation to AC power.
Operating the Radio
This radio has been equipped with a HEADPHONE jack for private listening. The use of
headphones immediately suspends audio output from the radio's main speaker.
• Do not play your headset at a high volume. Hearing experts advise against
continuous extended play.
• If you experience a ringing in your ears, reduce volume or discontinue use.
• Do not use while operating a motorized vehicle or bicycle, it may create a traffic hazard
and is illegal in many areas.
• You should use extreme caution or temporarily discontinue use in potentially hazardous
• Even if your headset is an open-air type designed to let you hear outside sounds, don't
turn up the volume so high that you can't hear what's around you.
CAUTION / CARE
Do not expose the unit to extreme temperatures, such as those caused by a hot stove or the
inside of a car parked in the summer sun. Such conditions can damage the unit. Always clean
with a soft cloth, dampened with water only.
This product should be serviced only by those specially trained in appropriate servicing
For instructions on how to obtain service, refer to the warranty in this guide.
Attach your sales receipt for future reference, or write down the date you purchased or
received this product as a gift.
This information will be valuable if service should be required during the warranty period.
P.O. Box 1976
Name of store:
Indianapolis, IN 46206 - 1976
©2006 Thomson Inc.
Trademark(s) ® Registered
The descriptions and characteristics in this owner's manual are for the purpose of general reference only and not
Marque(s) ® Deposée(s)
as a guarantee. In order to provide you with the highest quality product, we may make changes or modifications
Marca(s) ® Registrada(s)
without prior notice. The English version serves as the final reference on all product and operational details
should any discrepancies arise in other languages.
5633 747A (EN/F/E)
AM/FM Portable Radio
Radio Portative AM/FM
Radio Portátil AM/FM
It is important to read this instruction book prior to using your new product for the first time.
Es importante leer este manual antes de usar por vez primera su euipo.
Limited Warranty (United
incorporated into other products.
• Products purchased or serviced outside the USA.
• Acts of nature, such as but not limited to lightning
What your warranty covers:
Limitation of Warranty:
• Defects in materials or workmanship.
• THE WARRANTY STATED ABOVE IS THE ONLY
For how long after your purchase:
WARRANTY APPLICABLE TO THIS PRODUCT. ALL
• One year from date of purchase.
OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
The warranty period for rental units begins with
(INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
the first rental or 45 days from date of shipment to
MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
the rental firm, whichever comes first.
PURPOSE) ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED. NO VERBAL
What we will do:
OR WRITTEN INFORMATION GIVEN BY THOMSON
• Provide you with a new, or at our option, a
INC., ITS AGENTS OR EMPLOYEES SHALL CREATE A
refurbished unit. The exchange unit is under
GUARANTY OR IN ANY WAY INCREASE THE SCOPE
warranty for the remainder of the original
OF THIS WARRANTY.
product's warranty period.
• REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT AS PROVIDED UNDER
• Proof of purchase in the form of a bill of sale or
THIS WARRANTY IS THE EXCLUSIVE REMEDY OF THE
receipted invoice which is evidence that the
CONSUMER. THOMSON INC. SHALL NOT BE LIABLE
product is within the warranty period must be
FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
presented to obtain warranty service. For rental
RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS PRODUCT OR
firms, proof of first rental is also required.
ARISING OUT OF ANY BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR
How to make a warranty claim:
IMPLIED WARRANTY ON THIS PRODUCT. THIS
• Properly pack your unit. Include any cables, etc.,
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITED
which were originally provided with the product.
WARRANTY ARE GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE
We recommend using the original carton and
STATE OF INDIANA. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT
PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ANY IMPLIED
• Include evidence of purchase date such as the bill
WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR
of sale. Also print your name and address and a
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ON THIS PRODUCT IS
description of the defect. Send via standard UPS
LIMITED TO THE APPLICABLE WARRANTY PERIOD SET
or its equivalent to:
How state law relates to this warranty:
Product Exchange Center
11721 B Alameda Avenue
• Some states do not allow the exclusion nor limitation
Socorro, Texas 79927
of incidental or consequential damages, or limitations
• Insure your shipment for of loss or damage.
on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above
Thomson accepts no liability in case of damage or
limitations or exclusions may not apply to you.
loss en route to Thomson.
• This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you
• Pay any charges billed to you by the Exchange
also may have other rights that vary from state to state.
Center for service not covered by the warranty.
If you purchased your product outside the USA:
• A new or refurbished unit will be shipped to you
This warranty does not apply. Contact your dealer for
What your warranty does not cover:
• Customer instruction. (Your Owner's Manual
provides information regarding operating
Instructions and user controls. For additional
information, ask your dealer.)
Note: The English version of the Canadian Limited
• Installation and set-up service adjustments.
Warranty is printed in the French section.
• Damage from misuse or neglect.
• Products which have been modified or
u s e r
m a n u a l