Calculating Pulse Pressure Variation
• The clinical value of the derived PPV information must be determined by a physician. According to
recent scientific literature, the clinical relevance of PPV information is restricted to sedated patients
receiving controlled mechanical ventilation and mainly free from cardiac arrhythmia.
• PPV calculation may lead to inaccurate values in the following situations:
– at respiration rates below 8 rpm
– during ventilation with tidal volumes lower than 8 ml/kg
– for patients with acute right ventricular dysfunction ("cor pulmonale").
• The PPV measurement has been validated only for adult patients
To select an arterial pressure as PPV source:
In the Main Setup menu, select Measurements.
In the Setup PPV menu, select ABP, ART, Ao, BAP, P or FAP as the arterial pressure source.
14 Monitoring Invasive Pressure