Shaft extensions with feather key
To maintain the balancing quality, you have the following options:
● If the transmission element is shorter than the feather key with balancing type "H", then you
● If the transmission element is drawn up on to the shoulder of the shaft, you must ensure
The following applies for all 2-pole machines and 4-pole machines with a frequency ≥ 60 Hz:
● The feather key must be shortened if the coupling hub is shorter than the feather key.
● The center of gravity of the coupling half should be within the length of the shaft end.
● The coupling used must be prepared for system balancing.
The feather key can fall out
The feather keys are only locked against falling out during shipping. If a machine with two
shaft extensions does not have an output element on one shaft extension, the feather key
can fall out during operation.
Death or serious injury can result.
● Do not operate the machine unless the transmission elements have been pulled on.
● On shaft extensions without output element, make sure that the feather key cannot fall
Lifting and transporting the machine
To safely lift and transport the machine, the following requirements must be met:
● Personnel operating cranes and fork-lift trucks must be appropriately qualified.
● When lifting the machine, use only approved and undamaged sling guides and spreaders
● When lifting the machine, refer to the information on the lifting plate.
● Use only the load carrying device on the stator frame for lifting.
SIMOTICS TN Series N-compact 1LA8
Operating Instructions 05/2014
must machine off the section of feather key protruding from the shaft contour and
transmission element in order to maintain the balance quality.
that the part of the coupling groove where the feather key is not inserted is taken into
consideration when balancing the coupling.
The number of poles of the machine is specified on the rating plate (in the designation of
the motor type).
out and shorten it by approximately half for balance type "H".
of sufficient rated capacity. Check the lifting equipment prior to its use. The weight of the
machine is shown on the rating plate.
– Comply with the specified spreading angles.
– Do not exceed the maximum lifting acceleration and lifting speed specified on the lifting
plate. Lift the machine without jerking it.
Acceleration a ≤ 3.942 m/s
Velocity v ≤ 20 m/min
5.2 Lift the machine to where it will be installed, and position it