5.1 Preparations for installation
The motor components get very hot during operation. High temperatures can damage
mounting parts such as the cable insulation.
● Temperature-sensitive parts such as normal cables or electronic components must not
● Only use heat-resistant mounting parts. The connecting cables and cable entries must be
Insulation resistance and polarization index
Measuring the insulation resistance and polarization index (PI) provides information on the
condition of the machine. It is therefore important to check the insulation resistance and the
polarization index at the following times:
● Before starting up a machine for the first time
● After an extended period in storage or downtime
● Within the scope of maintenance work
The following information is provided regarding the state of the winding insulation:
● Is the winding head insulation conductively contaminated?
● Has the winding insulation absorbed moisture?
As such, you can determine whether the machine needs commissioning or any necessary
measures such as cleaning and/or drying the winding:
● Can the machine be put into operation?
● Must the windings be cleaned or dried?
Detailed information on testing and the limit values can be found here:
"Testing the insulation resistance and polarization index" (Page 45)
rest against or be attached to mounted machine parts.
suitable for the ambient temperature.
SIMOTICS TN Series N-compact 1LA8
Operating Instructions 05/2014