Font Selection Commands
User-defined symbol sets
User-defined symbol sets can be used with Unbound scalable fonts. Three new commands below are prepared
for use to control a user-defined symbol set.
To define a symbol set, its ID code must first be defined.
Next, a list of symbols for the symbol set must be downloaded.
Then, you can use the defined ID code for the symbol set selection.
Symbol set ID code command
• Value for # can be from 0 to 2047.
• This command defines the ID code for a user-defined symbol set which can be used to control symbol set
• The symbol set ID code defined by this command must be calculated by using the following formula.
Symbol Set ID Code = ( # x 32 ) + ( ID - 64 )
Symbol set selection values consists of numerical character(s) and an alphabetical character.
For example, 8U is the symbol set selection value for Roman-8. In this case, the Symbol set ID
code is 277 as the result of the following calculation.
(8 x 32 ) + (85 - 64) = 277
• Make sure to select an unused number for a new ID code that you define. If the ID code has been used
already, the printer deletes the existing symbol set and defines the new symbol set.
Define symbol set
• # value can be from 18 to 32767.
• # stands for number of bytes of data that follow this command.
• If an existing ID code is used for a user-defined symbol set, it is overwritten.
• Up to 2047 downloadable user-defined symbol sets can be stored subject to the printer's memory capacity.
• If a memory full error occurs while downloading the user-defined symbol set, the symbol set which is being
downloaded becomes invalid.
• The symbol set which is defined by this command is temporarily stored in the printer memory.
• The data following this command should be in the following format.
0 - 1
Header Size (18)
2 - 3
Encoded symbol set designator
4 - 5
6 - 7
8 - 9
Symbol Map [Last Code - First code + 1 ]
Symbol Set Type
Unsigned Long Integer
Signed Long Integer
ASCII string array
CHAPTER 2 "PCL" - 37
(0 ~ 255)
( -128 ~ 127 )
( 0 ~ 65535 )
( - 32768 ~ 32767 )
( 0 ~ 2
(0 ~ **-1) of characters