S Y S T E M E X P A N S I O N
Installing the card
Read all these instructions through before attempting to install any
Installing expansion cards can be one of the most difficult operations
you may ever perform within your computer. If you are in any
doubt, or come into difficulties you are unable to resolve, contact the
supplier of the expansion board or ask your Apricot dealer for advice
The only tool required is a small cross-head screwdriver
1. Turn off the computer and unplug all power cords.
2. Take suitable anti-static precautions and remove the system unit
If you are unfamiliar with the recommended anti-static precautions and/or the
process of removing the system unit cover, refer to Appendix A, "Inside the
3. First decide in which of the available slots you wish to install the
4. Check on two things, the type of board (ISA or PCI) and then its
5. Remove the blanking plate of the chosen slot by removing its
6. If the card you are installing is configured by the means of
card. In general it is easiest to start with the lowest slot and work
length. Not all slots take the same length or type of card. Details
are given at the beginning of this chapter.
♦ Note that PCI cards have their components on the opposite
side to older ISA cards.
securing screw. On the power supply side, remove the security
plate, then slide the blanking plate out of its slot. Keep all the
screws, etc., they will be needed later to secure the card.
jumpers or switches, check that it is correctly configured before