To create an annular groove, you must enter the following values for the "Number N" and
"Aperture angle α1" parameters:
N = 1
α1 = 360°
1. The tool approaches the center point of the semicircle at the end of the slot at rapid
2. Then, the tool enters the workpiece at machining infeed (taking into consideration the
3. When the first circumferential slot is finished, the tool moves to the retraction plane at
4. The next circumferential slot is approached along a straight line or circular path and then
5. The tool moves back to the safety clearance at rapid traverse.
You can select the machining mode for milling the circumferential slot as follows:
● Finishing of edge
Operating Manual, 03/2010, 6FC5398-7CP20-1BA0
traverse at the height of the retraction plane and adjusts to the safety clearance.
maximum infeed in the Z direction and the finishing allowance). The circumferential slot is
machined in the programmed machining direction (up-cut or down-cut) in a clockwise or
During roughing, the individual planes of the slot are machined one after the other from
center point of the semicircle at the end of the slot until depth Z1 is reached.
In "Finishing" mode, the edge is always machined first until depth Z1 is reached. The slot
edge is approached on the quadrant, which joins the radius. In the last infeed, the base is
finished from the center point of the semicircle to the end of the slot.
Edge finishing is performed in the same way as finishing, except that the last infeed
(finish base) is omitted.
Chamfering involves edge breaking at the upper edge of the circumferential groove.
Programming technological functions (cycles)