Drill and thread milling (CYCLE78)
You can use a drill and thread milling cutter to manufacture an internal thread with a specific
depth and pitch in one operation. This means that you can use the same tool for drilling and
thread milling, a change of tool is superfluous.
The thread can be machined as a right- or left-hand thread.
1. The tool traverses with rapid traverse to the safety clearance.
2. If pre-drilling is required, the tool traverses at a reduced drilling feedrate to the predrilling
1. The tool bores at drilling feedrate F1 to the first drilling depth D. If the final drilling depth
2. If another feedrate FR is required for through-boring, the residual drilling depth ZR is
3. If required, the tool traverses back to the workpiece surface for stock removal before
4. The tool traverses to the starting position for thread milling.
5. The thread milling is carried out (climbing, conventional or conventional + climbing) with
Operating Manual, 02/2012, 6FC5398-7CP40-3BA0
depth defined in a setting data (ShopMill/ShopTurn). When programming in G code, the
predrilling depth can be programmed using an input parameter.
Please also refer to the machine manufacturer's instructions.
Z1 is not reached, the tool will travel back to the workpiece surface in rapid traverse for
stock removal. Then the tool will traverse with rapid traverse to a position 1 mm above the
drilling depth previously achieved - allowing it to continue drilling at drill feedrate F1 at the
next infeed. Parameter "DF" is taken into account from the 2nd infeed and higher (refer to
the table "Parameters").
drilled with this feedrate.
thread milling with rapid traverse.
milling feedrate F2. The thread milling acceleration path and deceleration path is
traversed in a semicircle with concurrent infeed in the tool axis.
Programming technological functions (cycles)