Specialty Pans & Trivets
Canning Tips & Infor-
Canning can generate
large amounts of steam. Use extreme
caution to prevent burns. Always raise
the lid to vent steam away from you.
Woks with flat bottoms suitable for
use on your cooktop are available in
most cookshop or hardware stores.
Round-bottomed woks (with a sup-
port ring that does not extend be-
yond the heating element) may also
be used. The metal ring was de-
signed to support the wok safely
when it is filled with large amounts
of liquids (soup making) or fat (fry-
DO NOT use two
elements (if the cooktop is not
equipped with bridge element) to
heat one large pan such as a roaster
or griddle, or allow cooking utensils
to boil dry. The bottom surface of
the pan in either of these situations
could cause discoloring or crazing of
the porcelain enamel range surface,
and damage to the surface elements
and/or damage to the drip pans (if
Wire trivets: Do not use wire triv-
ets. Cookware bottoms must be in
direct contact with the surface ele-
1. Use tested recipes and follow instructions carefully. Check with your local
Cooperative Agricultural Extension Service or a manufacturer of glass jars for
the latest canning information.
2. Use flat-bottomed canners only. Heat is spread more evenly when the bottom
surface is flat.
3. Center canner on the surface element.
4. Start with hot water and a high heat setting to reduce the time it takes to bring
the water to a boil; then reduce the heat setting as low as possible to maintain
a constant boil.
5. It is best to can small amounts and light loads.
Prevent damage to cooktop:
1. Do not use water bath or pressure canners that extend more than one inch
beyond the edge of the surface element.
2. Do not leave water bath or pressure canners on high heat for an extended
amount of time.
3. Alternate surface elements between each batch to allow the units and
surrounding surfaces to cool down. Try to avoid canning on the same element
Safe canning requires that harmful micro-organisms are destroyed
and the jars are sealed completely. When canning in a water bath canner, a gentle
but steady boil must be maintained continuously for the required time.
DO NOT use a wok if it is equipped with
a metal ring that extends beyond the
surface element. Because this ring traps
heat, the surface element and cooktop
surface could be damaged.
For glass smoothtop models, only flat
bottomed woks (without support rings)
may be used.