(For 1766: USE ONLY WHEELS THAT MEASURE 6" IN DIAMETER. THIS
TOOL HAS 1/2" ARBORS ON BOTH SIDES)
(For 1788: USE ONLY WHEELS THAT MEASURE 8" IN DIAMETER. THIS
TOOL HAS 5/8" ARBORS ON BOTH SIDES.)
Follow the steps below to remove the replace an accessory.
1. Raise the eye shield up, out of the way.
2. Loosen and pull the tool rest out as far as possible. Do not remove it.
3. Loosen and pull the spark guard out as far as possible. Do not remove it.
4. Remove the screws from the wheel cover and remove cover.
5. Using hex or adjustable wrenches of the appropriate sizes, grasp the two
hex nuts holding the wheels to the arbor shaft at each end of the tool. To
remove the wheel from the right side of the tool, turn the right side hex
nut counterclockwise. while holding the left side hex nut stationary. To
remove the wheel from the left, turn the left side hex nut clockwise while
holding the right side hex nut stationary.
6. Remove the wheel washer and the wheel.
7. Inspect the wheel for cracks, chips or any other visible damage (other
than normal wear) and discard if such damage is found. Inspect the blot-
ter for damage. If the blotter is missing or severely damaged, replace it
with a piece of thin cardboard or blotter paper cut in the same shape.
NEVER USE A WHEEL WITHOUT A BLOTTER.
8. Install the new wheel or other accessory. Be sure that both wheel wash-
ers are in place (concave sides toward wheel). See Figure 4. (for 1766 see
Figures 4 and 5).
9. Hold as before and tighten the nut firmly but do not overtighten.
Overtightening can crack a grinding wheel.
10.Replace the wheel cover and its screws.
11.Adjust the spark guard to 1/16" from the wheel and tighten it securely.
12.Adjust the tool rest to 1/8" from the wheel and tighten securely.
13.Adjust the eye shield to a point between your eyes and the wheel. The
bench grinder is now ready to use.
14.Follow the above steps to install buffing wheels and wire wheel brushes
as well as grinding wheels.
Recommended accessories for use with your tool are available at extra cost