Immobilizer System (Equipped Models)
This motorcycle is equipped with an immobilizer system to protect the motorcycle from theft. This
system provides a theft proof device by means of matching a code between the inbuilt key transponder
and ECU (Electronic Control Unit). If the code does not match, ignition system, injectors, subthrottle
valve actuator and exhaust butterfly valve actuator will not operate and the engine will not start.
Do not keep more than one immobilizer key of any system on a key ring. Jamming of the key code
signal may occur and the operation of the system may be affected.
The warning indicator light (LED) will flash for a period of 24 hours once the ignition switch has been
switched off and the key removed. This flashing can be set to on or off as desired by holding the
Mode and Reset buttons down for two seconds within twenty seconds of switching the ignition off.
If all coded keys (master key and user keys) are lost the ECU and ignition switch will have to be
The immobilizer system can not function until the master key code is registered in the ECU.
A total of six keys can be registered in the ECU at any one time (one master key and five user keys).
If the master key is lost it is not possible to register new user keys.
1. Do not put two keys of any immobilizer system on the same key ring.
2. Do not submerge any key in water.
3. Do not expose any key to excessively high temperature.
4. Do not place any key close to magnet.
5. Do not place a heavy item on any key.
6. Do not grind any key or alter its shape.
7. Do not disassemble the plastic part of any key.
8. Do not drop the key and/or apply any shocks to the key.
9. When a user key is lost, the user should go to his dealer to invalidate the lost key registration in
10.When the master key is lost, the user should go to his dealer and have a new ECU installed and
register a new master key and user keys.
No.9 and 10 are strongly recommended to the customer to ensure security of the motorcycle.
Case 1: When the user key has been lost or additional
spare user key is required.
Prepare a new spare user key.
Cut the key in accordance with the shape of the current
Rear Seat (see Rear Seat Removal in the Frame chap-
Disconnect the immobilizer/Kawasaki diagnostic system
Connect the connection cable [A] and key registration unit
Special Tools - Key Registration Unit: 57001-1582
Connection Cable: 57001-1699
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM 16-89