16-84 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Immobilizer System (Equipped Models)
This motorcycle is equipped with an immobilizer system to protect the motorcycle from theft. This
system provides a theft proof device by means of matching a code between the inbuilt key transponder
and ECU. If the code does not match, ignition system, injectors, subthrottle valve actuator and exhaust
butterfly valve actuator will not operate and the engine will not start.
Do not keep more than one immobilizer key of any system on a key ring. Jamming of the key code
signal may occur and the operation of the system may be affected.
The red warning indicator (LED) will blink for a period of 24 hours once the ignition switch has been
switched off and the key removed. This blinking can be set to on or off as desired by holding the
upper and lower buttons down for 2 seconds within 20 seconds of switching the ignition off.
If all coded keys are lost the ECU and ignition switch will have to be replaced.
The immobilizer system can not function until the ignition key code is registered in the ECU.
A total of five keys can be registered in the ECU at any one time.
1. Do not put two keys of any immobilizer system on the same key ring.
2. Do not submerge any key in water.
3. Do not expose any key to excessively high temperature.
4. Do not place any key close to magnet.
5. Do not place a heavy item on any key.
6. Do not grind any key or alter its shape.
7. Do not disassemble the plastic part of any key.
8. Do not drop the key and/or apply any shocks to the key.
9. When a ignition key is lost, the user should go to his dealer to invalidate the lost key registration
in the ECU.
10.When the all ignition keys are lost, the user should go to his dealer and have a new ECU installed
and register the ignition keys.
No.9 and 10 are strongly recommended to the customer to ensure security of the motorcycle.
Case 1: When additional spare ignition key is required.
Prepare a new spare ignition key.
Cut the key in accordance with the shape of the current
Remove the front seat (see Front Seat Removal in the
Remove the immobilizer/Kawasaki diagnostic system
connector cap [A].
Connect the key registration unit [A] and key registration
adapter [B] as shown.
Special Tools - Key Registration Unit: 57001-1582
Key Registration Adapter: 57001-1746