Congratulations on your purchase of the Nokia 20 GSM Connectivity Terminal. It plugs into compatible PCs or other devices with an RS-232 data cable. Using the Nokia 20 GSM Connectivity Terminal and appropriate software, you can send and receive e-mail, data files, faxes, and access the Internet from your PC.
• AT Hayes command support Network services The Nokia 20 GSM Connectivity Terminal is approved for use in the GSM 900 and GSM 1800 networks and in the GSM 900/1800 dual band network. The Nokia 20 GSM Connectivity Terminal supports High Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD), which enables data transmission rates of up to 43.2 kbps.
To connect to the Internet, to send and receive e-mail or faxes, or to transmit data from your PC, you need the appropriate data and fax communications software. You can use the Nokia 20 GSM Connectivity Terminal with most commercially available communications applications, such as Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Outlook and Netscape Navigator.
3. Getting started Setting up the terminal To use the Nokia 20 GSM Connectivity Terminal for the first time, proceed as follows: Install the SIM card. Mount the terminal on the cradle. Place the terminal in a proper location. Connect the data cable to the terminal and to a PC or other compatible device. Connect the power supply to the terminal and to an AC wall outlet.
Caution: In order to comply with RF exposure requirements, install the terminal so that a minimum distance of 20 cm can be maintained between the antenna and all persons. If you use an external antenna, install the antenna so that a minimum distance of 20 cm can be maintained between the antenna and all persons, with antenna gain not exceeding 3 dBi.
Connecting the cables Connect the data cable from the terminal to a PC or other compatible device. Use only a cable supplied by Nokia. Connect the power cord from the power supply to the terminal. Connect the power supply to an AC wall outlet.
4. Light indicators • Light indicators 1 and 2 are not in use. • Light indicators 3, 4 and 5 indicate the state of the terminal. Refer to Table 1. Table 1. Nokia 20 light indicators Blinking Blinking Blinking Blinking...
5. Nokia 20 GSM Connectivity Terminal accessories For details and availability of Nokia 20 GSM Connectivity Terminal accessories, contact your local dealer. • Power supply (ACW-3): Supplied with the terminal. • Data package: Features an RS-232 data cable and an AT command list CD-ROM.
7. Care and maintenance • Your Nokia 20 GSM Connectivity Terminal is a product of superior design and craftsmanship and should be treated with care. The suggestions below will help you to fulfill any warranty obligations and to enjoy this product for many years. When using your terminal OR any accessory: •...
The Nokia 20 GSM Connectivity Terminal is switched on when the power supply is connected to the terminal and to an AC outlet. Do not connect the power supply whenever it is forbidden to use a wireless phone, or when it may cause interference or danger.
These recommendations are consistent with the independent research by and recommendations of Wireless Technology Research. Persons with pacemakers: • Should always keep the terminal more than 20 cm (6 inches) from their pacemaker when the terminal is switched on. • If you have any reason to suspect that interference is taking place, stop using your terminal immediately.
Cable length Environmental specifications Operating conditions Storage conditions Relative humidity range for operation 20...75% non-condensing and for storage 5...95% non-condensing. The terminal is not protected against ingress of water or liquids of any type. External antenna requirements Operating frequency range...