Formatting Memory Cards
Memory cards must be formatted before first use. For information on formatting memory cards,
see "The SET-UP Menu: Format memory/card" (Q 106, 107).
Removing Memory Cards
Memory cards can be removed without loss of data when the
camera is off. To remove memory cards, turn the camera off
and confirm that the power-on lamp is off. Do not open the
memory card slot cover while the power-on lamp is lit.
Open the memory card slot cover and press the memory card
to partially eject the card. The card can then be removed by
• Use only Secure Digital (SD) memory cards.
• Do not disassemble or modify.
• Do not drop, bend, or expose to water or strong physical shocks.
• Do not touch the metal terminals with your fingers or metal objects.
• Do not affix labels or stickers to the memory card.
Do not leave in direct sunlight in a closed vehicle or in other areas exposed to high
• Do not expose to high levels of humidity or to corrosive gas.
The Write Protect Switch
SD cards are equipped with a write protect switch to prevent accidental loss of data. When this
switch is in the "lock" position, pictures or sounds can not be recorded, deleted, or edited, and the
card can not be formatted. Do not lock the card when recording, deleting, or editing pictures or
Inserting Memory Cards
Write protect switch
When card is locked, pictures or sounds
can be played back but can not be re-
corded, deleted, edited, or transferred
using the camera I (V) button.