1982 AND LATER SERVICE INFORMATION
On the KZ550-H1, there is no separate
pedal height adjustment point. If the pedal is
not about 1 in. (20-30 mm) below the top of
the footpeg after pedal free play adjustment,
make sure the pedal is installed correctly. The
punch mark on the pedal must align with the
line on the pivot shaft. Remove and reinstall
the pedal, if necessary, to correct the
alignment. If pedal height is still not correct,
the brake pedal may be bent.
Brake Light Switch Adjustment
On the KZ550-HI, you must remove the
battery and battery tray to gain access to the
brake light switch. Adjustment is the same as
for earlier models.
FINAL DRIVE GEAR LUBRICATION
(KZ550-F1 AND M I )
Oil Level Check
1. Place the bike on the centerstand on
2. Wipe the area around the filler cap clean
and unscrew the cap (A, Figure 13).
3. The oil level should be at the case opening
4. If the oil level is low, refill with the correct
gear oil specified in Table 7.
5. Install the filler cap and tighten it securely.
The factory recommended oil change
intervals are at the first 500 miles (800 km);
thereafter every 19,000 miles (30,000 km).
To drain the oil you will need:
a. Drain pan.
c. Wrench or socket.
d. One quart of gear oil (refer to Table 7).
1. Ride the bike for a few miles to warm up
2. Place the bike on the centerstand.
3. Place a drain pan under the final drive gear
housing drain plug.
4. Wipe the area around the drain plug clean
of all road dirt and remove the drain plug (B,
Figure 1.3). Loosen the filler cap (A, Figure
13) to speed up the flow of oil.
5. Allow the oil to drain for at least 10
Do not allow the oil to come in contact
with any of the brake components or to
drip onto the rear tire.
6. Install the drain plug and tighten it
Refill the case with the recommended type
and viscosity of oil. The correct capacity is
listed in Table 7.
8. Reinstall the filler cap.
Refer to Table 8 for 1982 and later tune-up
Property of www.SmallEngineDiscount.com - Not for Resale