1982 AND LATER SERVICE INFORMATION
A. Adjuster wheel
8. Position number
A. Adjusting sleeve
B. Adjustment range
Spring Preload Adjustment
The adjusting sleeve at the top of the rear
shock absorber (Figure 8) can be turned to
change spring preload.
1. Place the motorcycle on the centerstand.
2. Remove the left-hand side cover.
3. Remove the air cleaner housing mounting
bolts and remove the left-hand air cleaner
4. Remove the chain cover.
5. Using the hook wrench supplied in the
motorcycle's tool kit, turn the adjusting sleeve
as required. The sleeve can be moved through
a vertical range of approximately 0.4 in. (10
mm); see Figure 8:
a. To increase preload, turn the sleeve
counterclockwise as viewed from the
b. To decrease preload, turn the sleeve
clockwise as viewed from the left-hand
6. Reverse Steps 1-4; make sure the air
cleaner housing is installed properly to avoid
The damping adjuster at the bottom of the
rear shock absorber has 4 click stops. No. 1
provides the lightest damping and No. 4
provides the heaviest damping.
1. Slide the dust cover out of the bottom of
the shock absorber spring.
2. Turn the damping adjuster (Figure 9) to
the desired setting. Be sure it is placed exactly
on the click stop.
3. Reinstall the dust cover.
Property of www.SmallEngineDiscount.com - Not for Resale