v ~ o d e l s ~ t i t h
rear disc brake, pull the
rear brake hose from its swing arm guides. and
tie the caliper up to keep stress off the brake
3. Remove the drive chain guard.
4. Remove the lower shock absorber
mounting bolt and lockwasher on both sides.
5. Move the swing arm up and down to check
for abnormal friction.
6. Remove the swing arm pivot nut (Figure
7 . Push out the pivot shaft and move the swing
arm to the rear. There is a cap on either end of
the swing arm.
8. Push out the swing arm sleeve with a soft
metal rod. Take care not to damage the
9. Clean the old grease from the needle
bearings and sleeve and apply a liberal amount
of waterproof grease.
10. To install, reverse the removal steps. Note
Be surc to loop the drive chain around the
swing arm when installing the swing arm.
Torque the swing arm pivot nut and
shock absorber bolts as specified in Table
When installing the drive chain guard.
position it carefully on the swing arm
brackets or the guard will rub on the drive
(Off The Bike)
1 . Inspect
discoloration or cracking. Replace them if
2. To replace the bearings. drive them out with
a rod inserted from the opposite end of the
swing arm. Install new ones carefully to
prevent cocking or damage. Install new gease
Do not trv to remove the hearings unless
jlou intend to replace them. Thej] will be
datnaged durlng rernoval.
3. Measure the outside diameter (OD) of the
swing arm sleeve that rides in the bearings. If
the OD is smaller than the limit in Table 1,
install a new sleeve.
4. Measure the pivot shaft runout. Roll the
shaft across a piece of plate glass and measure
any gap with a feeler gauge. If the runout is
bigger than the limit in Table
install a new
Because the drive chain is endless (has no
master link), the swing arm must be removed
to remove the drive chain from the motorcycle.
Kawasaki uses an endless cham on this
model for strength and reliability. Do
not cut the chain with a chain cutter or
install chain with a master link. The
chain may fail and rear wheel lockup
and an accident could result.
I. Remove the swing arm as described in this
2. Remove the engine sprocket cover: see
Sprocket Cover Removal in Chapter Six.
3. Remove the drive chain.
4. T o install a chain. reverse this procedure;
check the chain for wear and lubricate and
adjust it as described in Chapter Three.
Property of www.SmallEngineDiscount.com - Not for Resale