• Always hold the unit with both hands when operating. Keep a firm grip on
both handles or grips.
• Keep hands, face, and feet at a distance from all moving parts. Do not
touch or try to stop the cutting attachment when it rotates.
• Do not touch the engine, gear housing or muffler. These parts get
extremely hot from operation, even after the unit is turned off.
• Do not operate the engine faster than the speed needed to cut, trim or
edge. Do not run the engine at high speed when not cutting.
• Always stop the engine when cutting is delayed or when walking from one
cutting location to another.
• If you strike or become entangled with a foreign object, stop the engine
immediately and check for damage. Do not operate before repairing
damage. Do not operate the unit with loose or damaged parts.
• Stop the unit, switch the engine to off, and disconnect the spark plug for
maintenance or repair.
• Use only original equipment manufacturer replacement parts and
accessories for this unit. These are available from your authorized service
dealer. Use of any unauthorized parts or accessories could lead to serious
injury to the user, or damage to the unit, and void your warranty.
• Keep unit clean of vegetation and other materials. They may become
lodged between the cutting attachment and shield.
• To reduce fire hazard, replace a faulty muffler and spark arrestor. Keep the
engine and muffler free from grass, leaves, excessive grease or carbon
OTHER SAFETY WARNINGS
• Never store a fueled unit inside a building where fumes may reach an
open flame or spark.
• Allow the engine to cool before storing or transporting. Be sure to secure
the unit while transporting.
• Store the unit in a dry area, locked up or up high to prevent unauthorized
use or damage, out of the reach of children.
• Never douse or squirt the unit with water or any other liquid. Keep handles
dry, clean and free from debris. Clean after each use, see Cleaning and
• Keep these instructions. Refer to them often and use them to instruct other
users. If you loan someone this unit, also loan them these instructions.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
RULES FOR SAFE OPERATION
This operator's manual describes safety and international symbols and
pictographs that may appear on this product. Read the operator's manual for
complete safety, assembly, operating, maintenance, and repair information.
• SAFETY AND INTERNATIONAL SYMBOLS •
• SAFETY ALERT SYMBOL
Indicates danger, warning or caution. May be used in
conjunction with other symbols or pictographs.
• READ OPERATOR'S MANUAL
Read the operator's manual(s) and follow all
warnings and safety instructions. Failure to do so can result
in serious injury to the operator and/or bystanders.
• WEAR EYE AND HEARING PROTECTION
Thrown objects and loud noise can cause
severe eye injury and hearing loss. Wear eye protection
meeting ANSI Z87.1-1989 standards and ear protection
when operating this unit. Use a full face shield when needed.
• UNLEADED FUEL
Always use clean, fresh unleaded fuel
Refer to operator's manual for the proper type of oil.
• DO NOT USE E85 FUEL IN THIS UNIT
It has been proven that fuel containing greater
than 10% ethanol will likely damage this engine and void the
• ON/OFF STOP CONTROL
ON / START / RUN
• ON/OFF STOP CONTROL
OFF or STOP
• CHOKE CONTROL
1. • FULL choke position
2. • PARTIAL choke position
3. • RUN choke position
• THROWN OBJECTS AND ROTATING CUTTER CAN
CAUSE SEVERE INJURY
Small objects can be propelled at high speed,
causing injury. Keep away from the rotating rotor.
• KEEP BYSTANDERS AWAY
Keep all bystanders, especially children and
pets, at least 50 feet (15 m) from the operating area.
• HOT SURFACE WARNING
Do not touch a hot muffler or cylinder. You may get burned.
These parts get extremely hot from operation. When turned
off they remain hot for a short time.
• SHARP BLADE
Sharp blade on cutting attachment shield. To
prevent serious injury, do not touch the line cutting blade.