Connecting the Modem to a Cellular Phone
If the cellular cable kit requires it, flash your modem to enable cellular functions.
Always connect the cables in the following order:
1. Insert the modem into the computer.
2. Be sure your computer is powered up.
3. Initialize the modem in the computer.
4. Enter your communications software package.
5. Connect the cellular phone cable to the phone. The phone's power should be
6. Connect the other end of the cellular cable to the modem. You will hear three
ascending tones in rapid succession, indicating that the Cable Sensor recognizes
the cable and the modem is configured for the phone. If your software is in
terminal mode, the message <Phone> Cable Attached will appear.
7. Turn the cellular phone on, if modem has not already turned it on. If you
have a digital cellular phone, switch it to analog mode (refer to your phone's user
manual for instructions on how to do this).
The phone is now ready to use.
The cellular phone connection looks like this:
Using Cellular Protocols
The modem is equipped with both ETC** and MNP** 10-EC cellular
enhancements. If you are not sure what cellular protocols the modem with which
you are connecting supports, set S79=1 to set the startup rate at 4800bps. The
transmission speed between the modems will adjust during the call to the fastest
speed that produces the most stable transmission.
PCMCIA 33.6 Data/FAX/Voice Modem