Thank you for purchasing a Honda generator. This manual covers operation and maintenance of EM3500SX/EM3500X erators. All information information available at the time of approval for printing. Honda Motor Co., Ltd. reserves the right to make changes at any time without notice and without incurring any obligation.
0 Place the generator on a firm, level surface: avoid loose sand or snow. If the generator is tilted or overturned, erator is overturned enter the generator. 0 To prevent fire hazards and to provide generator at least 1 meter (3 feet) away from buildings ment during operation.
Read these labels before you operate the generator. ANNfltN Li YOlIUN AWAY1 ot NUAlNl Lt PLt,” llNSPtCClONAR PAM COMBUSlIELf OlRRAYAOO PANAN /WARNING ~~,~~~~~~A~~~~~~N~~~~~ST ATTENTION NEPASUTlLlSEROANSUNENDliOlTFERMEACAUSE DU RISQUED'EMPOISONNEMENT DU GAZ. ATEN(j()N NO LO USE EN LUGARES CERRADOS PORQUE EL MONOXIDE DE CARBON0 ES VENENOSO. &...
OIL ALERT ENGINE SWITCH CHOKE ROD GRIP DC CIRCUIT ENGINE SWITCH (EM3500X) PI LOT LAMP VOLTAGE LAMP AUTO THROTTLE DC OliTPUT SW ITCH (EM3500SX) TERMINAL OIL DRAIN PLUG SELECTOR SWITCH AC CIRCUIT BREAKER GRAND TERMINAL /OIL FILLER...
CAUTION: Check the generator 1. Engine Oil CAUTION: Engine oil is a major factor life. Non-detergent and 2-stroke engine oils are not recommended. Use Honda 4-stroke oil an equivalent high-detergent, premium quality motor oil certified to meet or exceed U.S. automobil for Service Classification SG*SF/CC.CD.
2. Fuel Check the fuel meter and refill the tank Your engine is designed to use any gasoline that has a pump octane number (y 1 of 86 or higher, or that has a research octane number of 91 or higher. Gasoline pumps at service station normally display the pump oc- tane number.
Gasoline is extremely conditions. Refuel in a well-ventilated smoke or allow flames ed or where gasoline Do not overfill the fuel tank (there should After refueling, make securely. Be careful not to spill fuel when may.ignite. If any fuel is spilled, ting the engine.
3. Air Cleaner Check the air cleaner elements to be sure they are clean and in good condi- tion. Clean or replace the elements if necessary (page 29). CAUTION: Never run the engine without will result. the air cleaner. Rapid engine wear ELEMENT...
1. Make sure that the AC circuit breaker is in the OFF position, and that nothing is to the DC terminals. connected The generator may be hard to start if a load is connected. AC CIRCUIT BREAKER DC TERMINALS 2. Turn the fuel valve to the ON position. FUEL VALVE...
3. Pull the choke rod out to the CLOSE position. (EM3500X only) CHOKE ROD 4. Make sure the auto-throttle switch is in the OFF position, or more time will be required for warm up. (EM3500SX only) AUTO-THROTTLE SWITCH...
5. Start the engine With recoil starter: Turn the engine switch to the ON position. ITCH <NGINE SWITCH (EM3500X) (EM3500SX) Pull the starter grip lightly until resistance is felt, then pull briskly. CAUTION: Do not allow the starter grip to snap back against the engine.
With electric starter (EM3500SX only): Turn the engine switch to the START position and hold it there until the engine starts. NOTE: Do not use the electric starter for more than 5 seconds at a time. If the engine fails to start, release the switch and wait 10 seconds before operating the starter again.
7. Push the choke rod to the OPEN position as the engine warms up. (EM3500X only) 8. If you wish to use the auto-throttle to the AUTO position after the engine has warmed up for 2 or 3 minutes. (EM3500SX only)
To prevent electrical should be grounded. ground terminal and the ground Connections for standby be made by a qualified laws and electrical current from the generator backfeed may electrocute tact lines during restored, generator building’s electrical CAUTION: Limit operation requiring For continuous operation, In either...
Oil Alert System The Oil Alert system is designed to prevent engine damage caused by an in- sufficient amount of oil in the crankcase. Before the oil level in the crankcase falls below a safe limit, the Oil Alert system will automatically shut down the engine (the engine switch will remain in the ON position).
Auto-throttle System (EM3500SX With the switch in the AUTO position, engine speed is automatically to an idle when all loads are turned off or disconnected. When appliances are turned on or reconnected, the engine resumes the rated speed. At OFF, the auto-throttle system does not operate.
AC applications I. Start the engine and make sure the pilot lamp comes on. If not, the fila- ment may be burnt out. 2. Turn the voltage selector switch to either position as required. NOTE: With the voltage selector switch in the “12OV/24OV” can use the 120V and 240V receptacles simultaneously.
4. Plug in the appliance. CAUTION: Be sure that appliances for more than 30 minutes capacity. Substantial overloading loading may not switch service life of the generator. If an overloaded circuit the electrical load on the circuit, the circuit breaker. Be sure that all appliances them to the generator.
DC operation The DC terminals may be used for charging 12 volt automotive-type only. 1. Connect both charging cables to the battery terminals and connect the positive (+) cable to the generator’s positive (+) DC terminal. 2. Start the engine. 3.
battery gives cigarettes away. ing batteries in an enclosed The battery contains eyes may cause shield. If electrolyte gets on your If electrolyte gets in your minutes and call a physician Electrolyte is poisonous. If swallowed, with milk of magnesia KEEP OUT OF REACH To prevent the possibility...
To stop the engine in an emergency, turn the engine switch to the OFF posi- tion. In normal use: 1. Turn the AC circuit breaker to the OFF position. Disconnect DC battery charging cables. 2. Turn the engine switch to the OFF pbsition. (EM3500X) ENGINE THE ENGINE AC bRCUlT (EM3500SX) SWITCH...
3. Turn the fuel valve to the OFF position. High altitude operation At high altitude, the standard carburetor air-fuel mixture will be excessively rich. Performance will decrease, and fuel consumption will increase. High altitude performance can be improved by installing a smaller diameter main fuel jet in the carburetor and readjusting the pilot screw, If you always operate the generator at altitudes higher than 6,000 feet above sea level, have your authorized...
Periodic maintenance and adjustment is necessary to keep the generator in good operating condition. Perform the service and inspection scheduled in the table on the following page. Shut off the engine before performing engine must be run, make sure the area is well ventilated. poisonous carbon monoxide.
Maintenance Schedule val. whichever comes first. ITEM Check level Engine oil Change Check Air cleaner Clean Sediment CUD Clean Clean-Readjust Spark plug Spark arrester Clean Valve clearance Check-Readiust Fuel tank and Clean strainer Fuel line Check (Replace if necessary) NOTE: (1) Service more frequently (2) These items should be serviced by an authorized owner has the proper tools and is mechanically...
Changing Oil Drain the oil while the engine is still warm to assure rapid and complete drain- ing. 1. Remove the oil filler cap and drain plug to drain the oil. 2. Install the drain plug, and tighten it securely. 3.
Air Cleaner Service A dirty air cleaner will restrict air flow to the carburetor. To prevent carbure- tor malfunction, service the air cleaner regularly frequently when operating the generator in extremely dusty areas. Never use gasoline or low flash point solvents for cleaning the air cleaner element.
2. Wash the element in a solution of household detergent and warm water, then rinse thoroughly, vent. Allow the element to dry thoroughly. 3. Soak the element in clean engine oil and squeeze out the excess oil. The engine will smoke during initial start-up if too much oil is left in,the ele- merit., 4.
Sediment Cup Cleaning The sediment cup prevents dirt or water which may be in the fuel tank from entering the carburetor. sediment cup should be cleaned. 1. Turn the fuel valve to the OFF position. 2. Clean the cup and fuel filter thoroughly. 3.
Spark PLg Service Recommended spark plug: To ensure proper engine operation, the spark plug must be properly gapped and free of deposits. If the engine has been running, careful not to touch the muffler. 1. Remove the spark plug cap. 2.
6. Check that the spark plug washer is in good condition, and thread the spark plug in by hand to prevent cross-threading. 7. After the spark plug is seated, tighten with a spark plug wrench to com- press the washer. NOTE: If installing a new spark plug, tighten l/2 turn after the spark plug seats to compress the washer.
Spark Arrester Maintenance If the generator Allow it to cool before proceeding. CAUTION: The spark arrester tain its efficiency. 1. Remove the screw by the exhaust port of the muffler and remove the spark arrester. 2. Use a brush to remove carbon deposits from the spark arrester screen. Inspect the screen for breaks or tears and replace it if necessary.
When transporting valve to the OFF position, Fuel vapor or spilled fuel may ignite. Before storing the unit for an extended period: 1. Be sure the storage area is free of excessive humidity and dust. 2. Drain the fuel - a.
d. Drain the carburetor by loosening the drain screw. Drain the gasoline into a suitable container. Gasoline is conditions. Do not smoke or allow flames or sparks in the area. 3. Change the engine oil. 4. Remove the spark plug, and pour about a tablespoon of clean engine oil into the cylinder.
A. When the engine will not start: 1. Is the engine switch on? 2. Does the oil alert lamp flash when the starter is pulled? 3. Is there enough fuel? 4. Are all loads disconnected from the AC receptacles? 5. Is there a spark at the spark plug? a.
6. Is gasoline reaching the carburetor? To check, place a suitable container under the drain tube, turn the fuel valve on and loosen the drain screw. Fuel should flow out freely. If OK, try to start the engine according to the instructions. If any fuel is spilled, make sure the area around the spark plug and the generator is dry before starting the engine.
242 cc (14.8 cu in) 173 x 58 mm (2.9 x 2.3 Transistorized 1.1 Q (1.16 USqt) 17.0 II (4.5 US gal) BPR-5ES (NGK), WlGEPR-U EM3500SX output Only for charging 12V automotive Maximum EM3500X 62 kg (136.7 lb) GX240 8.2 : 1 3,600 r.p.m. Forced air magneto (ND) EM3500X...
Remote Control Kit (EM3500SX only) 1. Install the relay box on the right side of the generator. 2. Remove the 8P connector from the back of the control box and connect the relay box connector instead. RELAY 3. Connect the remote control cable to the remote control and relay box. REMOTE CONTROL CABLF ’...
Remote Control Box STARTER ENGINE BUTTON SWITCH Starting the engine with remote control 1. Turn the fuel valve to the ON position. 2. Turn the auto-throttle switch to the OFF position. 3. Turn off the engine switch at the generator and remove the key. 4.
5. Turn the engine switch at the remote control box to the ON position. 6. Press the starter button until the pilot lamp comes on. Stopping the engine 1. Turn the engine switch at the remote control box to the OFF position. 2.
Battery Tray Kit (EM3500SX only) 1. Install the battery guard on the frame. Set the battery tray on the battery guard and tighten the bolts. 2. Route the starter cable under the tank and connect it to the starter solenoid. 3.
4-Wheel Kit Installation 1. Install the four wheels on the axle shaft. 2. Install the axle assembly on the generator using four bolts and nuts. WHEEL STOPPER NOTE: Install the shaft with wheel stopper facing engine side.
Owner Satisfaction Your satisfaction and goodwill Honda warranty details ty. Normally, any problems dealer’s service department. been handled to your action: Discuss your problem complaints can be quickly already been reviewed the dealership or the General If your problem still has not been resolved American P.O.