FOR HELP-1.800.354.3643 OR WWW.GENIECOMPANY.COM
There should be no electrical power to the opener
while installing Safe-T-Beam
wires. If you have
plugged in the power cord—UNPLUG IT NOW!
NOTE: The opener will not close the door
automatically unless the Safe-T-Beam
NOTE: For Sensors, screws, wire, and insulated
staples locate items and Bag 8 from Box 3.
FIG. 4-1 Mark door frame
1. Mounting brackets.
• Mark both sides of garage door frame or wall no
higher than 6" and no lower than 5" above floor
• Hold bracket against door frame or wall.
– Check if brackets extend out from wall far
enough, so tongue of bracket is beyond door,
tracks or any door hardware.
– If not:
a) Mounting bracket extensions are available
through an authorized Genie
b) Blocks of wood, etc. may be substituted for
• Locate top of bracket on your mark (Fig. 4-2).
FIG. 4-3 Attach
sensors to brackets
• Fasten each with 2 screws (Fig. 4-2).
NOTE: Mounting brackets can be attached to the
floor or concrete rim using concrete anchors
(not provided) obey manufacturer's instructions.
2. Mounting Safe-T-Beam
Source (Red LED) and
Sensor (Green LED).
• If garage has only one garage door.
– Determine which side of garage receives most
direct sunlight (Fig. 4-4).
– Red LED should always be on sunny side
whenever possible (Fig. 4-4).
• For multiple doors.
– Preventing crossed signals is critical.
– Place source and sensor modules on adjacent
doors facing in opposite directions (Fig. 4-4).
NOTE: To help prevent interference from sun,
sensor with Green LED may be
FIG. 4-4 Safe-T-Beam
source and sensor
placed further away from the door opening,
though extended no further out from the wall,
where it will spend more time in shadow.
• Slide source/sensor onto tongue of bracket until
it clicks into place (Fig. 4-3).
3a. Wiring (If NOT pre-wired).
• Route wire from Safe-T-Beam
sensors to power
head using method shown in (Fig. 4-5a).
• Securely fasten wires to wall and ceiling
as you go (Fig. 4-6 on next page).
Dashed Line = striped wire
– Use insulated staples.
Solid Line = white wire
– Staples should be snug only.
FIG. 4-5a Source and sensor wiring methods
02/26/2010 REV. 1