The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty.
3. Set up the hardware. 4. Test the installation. Items shipped in the box Unpack the scanner hardware. Be sure to remove any shipping tape. HP Scanjet N8400 series scanner Automatic document feeder (ADF) and ADF input tray Power cable USB cable Scanning software CDs (For more information, see “Included software”...
1. Insert the HP Scanning Software CD that came with the scanner into the computer CD drive. Wait for the installation dialog box to display. If the installation dialog box does not display after a few moments: a. Click Start, and then click Run. (On Windows Vista, click Start, and then type run into the search box.)
Connect the automatic document feeder (ADF) 1. Hold the ADF in the open position (a 70 degree angle relative to the scanner bed). Align the hinge posts on the ADF with the sockets on the scanner, and then gently lower the ADF onto the scanner.
2. After installing the ADF, lower the ADF to the closed position. 3. Install the ADF input tray. 4. Connect the accessory cable to the accessory cable port on the scanner. Turn the thumbscrews on the connector until they are tight.
Connect the square end of the cable to the scanner and the rectangular end of the cable to the computer. NOTE: HP recommends using a USB port on the back of the computer for a more reliable connection to the scanner. HP Scanjet N8400 series...
2. Remove the cleaning cloth and unfold it. 3. Place the unfolded cloth into the document feeder. 4. Press the Tools ( ) button on the scanner front panel to open the HP Scanner Tools Utility. Click the Maintenance tab.
If the HP Smart Document Scan Software is installed, press the Scan Document To ( ) button. If a scan does not appear on your computer screen, see “Uninstall and then reinstall the HP Scanjet drivers and utilities” on page 19, and then try scanning again. •...
• Scan a document for editable text NOTE: Use the HP Scanner Tools Utility, available from the Tools ( ) button, to set up the quick start buttons. NOTE: You can set a quick start button to start scanning with a specific HP Smart Document Scan Software profile or to start a different scanning program.
Software profiles that are displayed on the scanner front panel, and then press the Scan Document To ( ) button to start scanning with the selected profile. For information on how to set up an HP Smart Document Scan Software profile, see HP Smart Document Scan Software help.
Double-click the HP Smart Document Scan Software icon on the computer desktop. • Click Start, point to Programs or All Programs, point to HP, point to Scanjet, and then click HP Smart Document Scan Software. 2. Select a profile in the list.
Click Start, point to Programs or All Programs, point to HP, point to Scanjet, point to N8400 series, and then click Scanner Tools Utility. 2. For a button number, verify that the Program to Launch is set to HP Smart Document Scan Software, and then notice the Profile name.
(.CHM) file. To open the User Guide in the installed (system) language, follow these steps: ▲ Click Start, point to Programs or All Programs, point to HP, point to Scanjet, point to N8400 series, and then click User Guide.
Troubleshooting Scanner error messages The scanner displays status and error messages on the scanner front panel. For help responding to a scanner error message, see the appropriate topics below. Scanner Error Message ADF Jam – Input Tray ADF Jam – Clean Out ADF Jam –...
Press the Power Save button to turn the scanner off, and then turn the scanner on again by pressing one of the front panel buttons. If the message is still displayed, contact HP Support. For more information, see Contact HP Support.
• Ensure that the power switch on the back of the scanner is in the On position. For more information, see “Connect the power cable” on page 6. If the problem persists after verifying the above items, try the following: 1.
If the scanner works and you changed the way it was connected to the computer in step 1, the communication problem might involve the USB hub or docking station. Leave the scanner directly connected to the computer. If the scanner does not work, uninstall and then reinstall the HP Scanjet drivers and utilities. Accessory cable The accessory cable is connected between the automatic document feeder (ADF) in the scanner lid and the scanner base.
User Guide, which is described in Where to get additional information. Customers with disabilities can get help by visiting www.hp.com/hpinfo/community/ accessibility/prodserv/. Getting assistance In order to get the best from your HP product, please consult the following standard HP support offerings: HP Scanjet N8400 series...
7. HP's limited warranty is valid in any country/region or locality where HP has a support presence for this product and where HP has marketed this product. The level of warranty service you receive may vary according to local standards.
Regulatory information and product specifications This section contains regulatory information and product specifications for the HP Scanjet N8400 series scanner and accessories. Scanner specifications Name Scanner type Size Weight Scanning element Interface Optical resolution AC power Power consumption Automatic document feeder (ADF) specifications...
Additional regulatory information about your scanner can be found on the regulatory_supplement.htm file on the HP Scanning Software CD. Materials disposal This HP product contains the following materials that might require special handling at end-of-life: Mercury in the fluorescent lamp in the scanner and/or transparent materials adapter.
of your waste equipment by handing it over to a designated collection point for the recycling of waste electrical and electronic equipment. The separate collection and recycling of your waste equipment at the time of disposal will help to conserve natural resources and ensure that it is recycled in a manner that protects human health and the environment.