using this manual This user manual has been specially designed to guide you through the functions and features of your mobile phone. To get started quickly, refer to “introducing your mobile phone,” “assembling and preparing your mobile phone,” and “using basic functions.” Instructional icons Before you start, familiarise yourself with the icons you will see in this manual:...
→ Followed by—the order of options or menus you must select to perform a step; for example: In Menu mode, select Messages → Create message (represents Messages, followed by Create message) Square brackets—phone keys; for example: [ ] (represents the Power/ Menu exit key) Copyright information Rights to all technologies and products that...
using basic functions ... 21 Turn your phone on and off ... 21 Use the touch screen ... 22 Access menus ... 23 Use widgets ... 23 Access help information ... 24 Customise your phone ... 24 Use basic call functions ... 27 Send and view messages ...
Synchronise data ... 68 Create and view world clocks ... 69 Set and use alarms ... 70 Use the calculator ... 71 Convert currencies or measurements ... 71 Set a countdown timer ... 71 Use the stopwatch ... 71 Create new tasks ... 71 Create new memos ...
safety and usage information Comply with the following precautions to avoid dangerous or illegal situations and ensure peak performance of your mobile phone. Safety warnings Keep your phone away from small children and pets Keep your phone and all accessories out of reach from small children and animals.
Handle and dispose of batteries and chargers with care • Use only Samsung-approved batteries and chargers specifically designed for your phone. Incompatible batteries and chargers can cause serious injuries or damage to your phone.
Do not use the phone if the screen is cracked or broken Broken glass or acrylic could cause injury to your hand and face. Bring the phone to a Samsung service centre to replace the screen. Damage caused by careless handling will void your...
Follow all safety warnings and regulations Comply with any regulations that restrict the use of a mobile phone in a certain area. Use only Samsung-approved accessories Using incompatible accessories may damage your phone or cause injury. Turn off the phone near medical...
Protect batteries and chargers from damage • Avoid exposing batteries to very cold or very hot temperatures (below 0° C/32° F or above 45° C/ 113° F). Extreme temperatures can reduce the charging capacity and life of your batteries. • Prevent batteries from contacting metal objects, as this can create a connection between the + and - terminals of your batteries and lead to temporary or permanent battery damage.
• If your phone has a camera flash or light, avoid using it close to the eyes of children or animals. • Your phone may be damaged by exposure to magnetic fields. Do not use carrying cases or accessories with magnetic closures or allow your phone to come in contact with magnetic fields for extended periods of time.
• Disconnect chargers from power sources when not in use. • Use batteries only for their intended purpose. Handle SIM cards and memory cards with care • Do not remove a card while the phone is transferring or accessing information, as this could result in loss of data and/or damage to the card or phone.
European Radio & Terminal Telecommunications Equipment (R&TTE) directive. For more information about the SAR and related EU standards, visit the Samsung mobile phone website. Correct disposal of this product (Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment) (Applicable in the European Union and...
Household users should contact either the retailer where they purchased this product, or their local government office, for details of where and how they can take these items for environmentally safe recycling. Business users should contact their supplier and check the terms and conditions of the purchase contract.
Third party services may be terminated or interrupted at any time, and Samsung makes no representation or warranty that any content or service will remain available for any period of time. Content and services are transmitted by third parties by means of networks and transmission facilities over which Samsung has no control.
• The items supplied with your phone may vary keys, and icons. depending on the software and accessories available in your region or offered by your service provider. You can obtain additional accessories from your local Samsung dealer. • The supplied accessories perform best for your phone.
Phone layout The front of your phone includes the following keys and features: Volume key Dial key Back key The rear of your phone includes the following keys and features: Multifunction jack Earpiece Flashbulb Hold key Touch screen Camera key Speaker Power/Menu exit key...
Keys Function Make or answer a call; In Idle Dial mode, retrieve recently dialled, missed, or received numbers In Menu mode, return to the Back previous level Turn the phone on and off (press Power/ and hold); End a call; In Menu Menu exit mode, return to Idle mode Adjust the phone’s volume;...
Icon Definition Alarm activated Browsing the web Connected to secured web page Wi-Fi activated Roaming (outside of normal service area) Call diverting activated Bluetooth activated Bluetooth hands-free car kit or headset connected Connected to or synchronised with PC New text message (SMS) Icon Definition New multimedia message (MMS)
assembling and preparing your mobile phone Get started by assembling and setting up your mobile phone for its first use. Install the SIM card and battery When you subscribe to a cellular service, you will receive a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) with subscription details, such as your personal identification number (PIN) and optional services.
2. Insert the SIM card. • Place the SIM card in the phone with the gold-coloured contacts facing up. • Without inserting a SIM card, you can use your phone’s non-network services and some menus. • Do not insert a memory card in the SIM card slot.
Charge the battery Before using the phone for the first time, you must charge the battery. 1. Open the cover to the multifunction jack on the top of the phone. 2. Plug the small end of the travel adapter into the multifunction jack.
Insert a memory card (optional) To store additional multimedia files, you must insert a memory card. Your phone accepts microSD™ or microSDHC™ memory cards up to 16 GB (depending on memory card manufacturer and type). Formatting the memory card on a PC may cause incompatibility with your phone.
using basic functions Learn how to perform basic operations and use the main features of your mobile phone. Turn your phone on and off To turn your phone on, 1. Press and hold [ 2. Enter your PIN and select Confirm (if necessary). To turn your phone off, repeat step 1 above.
Use the touch screen Your phone’s touch screen lets you easily select items or perform functions. Learn basic actions to use the touch screen. For the optimal use of the touch screen, remove the screen protection film before using your phone. •...
Access menus To access your phone’s menus, 1. In Idle mode, select Menu to access Menu mode. 2. Scroll left or right through the menu screens. 3. Select a menu or option. 4. Press the Back key to move up one level; Press ] to return to Idle mode.
Access help information Learn to access helpful information about your phone. 1. Open the widget toolbar. 2. Select from the widget toolbar. 3. Rotate the phone anti-clockwise to landscape view. 4. Select a help topic to learn about an application or feature.
Switch to or from the silent profile In Idle mode, select Keypad, and touch and hold to silence or unsilence your phone. Calibrate the screen You can calibrate the screen so that your phone recognises the input better. 1. In Menu mode, select Settings → Phone settings →...
• The first time you access a menu that requires a password, you will be prompted to create and confirm a password. • Samsung is not responsible for any loss of passwords or private information or other damages caused by illegal software.
Unlock the touch screen with smart unlock By drawing a specified character on the locked touch screen, you can unlock the screen only, unlock and then make a call to a speed dial number, or unlock and then launch an application. To set a smart unlock character, 1.
Adjust the volume To adjust the volume during a call, press the Volume key up or down. Use the speakerphone feature 1. During a call, select Speaker → Yes to activate the speaker. 2. To switch back to the earpiece, select Speaker again.
4. Select Tap to add text. 5. Enter your message text and select Done. Enter text For sending as a text message, skip to step 7. For attaching multimedia, continue with step 6. 6. Select Add media and add an item. 7.
Enter text using the virtual keypad 1. Change the text input method to Keypad. 2. Select appropriate virtual keys to enter text. • To change case or use numbers or symbols, select Abc at the bottom centre of the screen. Depending on your region, you may be able to access an input mode for your specific language.
Enter text using the writing box 1 1. Change the text input method to Writing box 1. 2. Write each character in the writing area. Write numbers and symbols in the ?1 box at the bottom right of the writing area. To change case, select Abc at the bottom centre of the screen.
Add a new contact 1. In Idle mode, select Keypad and enter a phone number. → Add to Phonebook → New. 2. Select 3. Select Phone or SIM (if necessary). 4. Enter contact information. 5. Select Save to add the contact to memory. Find a contact 1.
3. Aim the lens at the subject and make any adjustments. • To turn the flash on or off, select • To change the camera focus, select • To set the exposure value, select • To zoom in or out, press the Volume key. 4.
6. Select or press the Camera key to stop recording. The video is saved automatically. After capturing videos, select to view videos quickly. View videos In Menu mode, select My files → Videos → a video folder → a video file. Rotate the phone anti-clockwise to landscape view.
Listen to music files Start by transferring files to your phone or memory card: • Download from the wireless web. • Download from a PC with the optional Samsung PC Studio. p. 48 • Receive via Bluetooth. p. 54 • Copy to your memory card.
Browse the web Learn to access and bookmark your favourite web pages. • You may incur additional charges for accessing the web and downloading media. • The browser menus may be labelled differently depending on your service provider. • Available icons may vary depending on your region or service provider.
Download media files This feature may be unavailable depending on your region or service provider. 1. In Menu mode, select Downloads. 2. Search for a ringtone or picture and download it to the phone. Use the Google services Learn how to use various Google services. •...
To search for a specific location, 1. In Menu mode, select Games and more → Google Maps. 2. Select Menu → Search Map and enter the address or the category of the business. To get directions to a specific destination, 1.
using advanced functions Learn how to perform advanced operations and use additional features of your mobile phone. Use advanced call functions Learn about your phone’s additional calling capabilities. View and dial missed calls Your phone will display calls you have missed on the display.
Hold a call or retrieve a held call Select Hold to place a call on hold or select Retrieve to retrieve a held call. Dial a second call If your network supports this function, you can dial another number during a call: 1.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to add more parties (if necessary). 5. To end the multiparty call, press [ Call an international number 1. In Idle mode, select Keypad and touch and hold 0 to insert the + character. 2.
Use advanced phonebook functions Learn to create your namecard, set favourite numbers, and create groups of contacts. Create your namecard 1. In Menu mode, select Phonebook → More → My namecard. 2. Enter your personal details. 3. Select Save. You can send your namecard by attaching it to a message or email or transferring it via the Bluetooth wireless feature.
3. Select Create group. 4. Set a group name, the caller ID photo, a group ringtone, and vibration type. 5. Select Save. 6. Select Yes and add contacts to the group (if necessary). Make calls or send messages from photos Your phone automatically adds contacts you frequently use to the photo contacts list.
3. Create a multimedia message, with a subject and desired attachments, to use as your template. p. 28 4. Select Save. Insert text templates in new messages 1. In Menu mode, select Messages → Create message → a message type. 2.
→ a scene → 3. Select 4. Make any necessary adjustments. 5. Press the Camera key to take a photo. Capture photos in Smile shot mode 1. In Idle mode, press the Camera key to turn on the camera. 2. Rotate the phone anti-clockwise to landscape view.
4. Make any necessary adjustments. 5. Press the Camera key to take the first photo. 6. Slowly move the phone to the direction you want. When you align the small white frame with , the phone captures the next photo automatically.
Use camera options Before capturing a photo, select following options: Option Function Timer Select the time delay Resolution Change the resolution option White balance Adjust the colour balance Effects Apply a special effect Adjust the sensitivity of the camera imaging sensor Exposuremeter Select a type of exposure metre Reduce blur caused by vibration or...
Reset settings Use advanced music functions Learn to prepare music files, create playlists, and store radio stations. Copy music files via Samsung PC Studio 1. In Menu mode, select Settings → Phone settings → PC connections → Samsung PC →...
4. Run Samsung PC Studio and copy files from the PC to the phone. Refer to the Samsung PC Studio help for more information. Copy music files to a memory card 1. Insert a memory card. 2. In Menu mode, select Settings → Phone settings →...
7. Select and drag the music files you want to the sync list. 8. Start synchronisation. Create a playlist 1. In Menu mode, select Music player → Playlists. 2. Select Create. 3. Select the text input field, enter a title for your new playlist, and select Done.
Record songs from the FM radio 1. Plug the supplied headset into the phone’s headset jack. 2. In Menu mode, select FM radio. 3. Select to start the FM radio. 4. Select More → Record to start recording. 5. When you are finished recording, select Stop. The music file will be saved in Radio clips (in Menu mode, select My files →...
Find information of music Learn to access an online music service and get information about the songs you hear while on the move. 1. In Menu mode, select Find music. 2. Select Find music to connect to the server. 3. When your phone is successfully registered, select to record a part of music you want to find.
using tools and applications Learn how to work with your mobile phone’s tools and additional applications. Use the Bluetooth wireless feature Learn about your phone’s ability to connect to other wireless devices for exchanging data and using hands-free features. Turn on the Bluetooth wireless feature 1.
Find and pair with other Bluetooth- enabled devices 1. In Menu mode, select Bluetooth → Search. 2. Select a device icon. 3. Enter a PIN for the Bluetooth wireless feature or the other device’s Bluetooth PIN, if it has one, and select Done.
Use Remote SIM mode In Remote SIM mode, you can make or answer calls only with a connected Bluetooth hands-free car kit via the SIM card on your phone. To activate Remote SIM mode, 1. In Menu mode, select Bluetooth → Settings. 2.
Search for and connect to a WLAN 1. In Menu mode, select Wi-Fi → Search. 2. Select a network icon → Add and add a connection profile. • If the network you want needs an IP address, subnet mask, DNS, or gateway information, select Advanced settings.
5. Select the contacts you want and select Add. 6. Select a number (if necessary). 7. When you are finished selecting contacts, select OK to save the recipients. 8. Select the Once drop-down menu and select the number of times to repeat the SOS message.
Make fake calls You can simulate an incoming call when you want to get out of meetings or unwanted conversations. You can also make it appear as if you are talking on the phone by playing back a recorded voice. Make a fake call In Idle mode, press and hold the Volume key down.
3. Speak your memo into the microphone. 4. When you are finished speaking, select Your memo is saved automatically. Play a voice memo 1. In Menu mode, select Voice recorder → My voice clips. 2. Select a file. 3. Control playback using the following icons: Icon Function Pause playback...
Adjust an image 1. Open an image to be edited. Refer to steps 1-2 of “Apply effects to images.” 2. Select Edit → Adjust → an adjustment option (brightness, contrast, or colour). To adjust the image automatically, select Auto level. 3.
Insert a visual feature 1. Open an image to be edited. Refer to steps 1-2 of “Apply effects to images.” 2. Select Edit → Insert → a visual feature (frame, image, clip art, emoticon, or text). 3. Select a visual feature, or enter text and select Done.
To print an image using the Bluetooth wireless feature, 1. Open an image. p. 33 2. Select More → Print via → Bluetooth. 3. Select a Bluetooth-enabled printer and pair with the printer. p. 54 4. Set print options and print the image. Edit videos Learn to edit video files and apply visual effects.
8. Enter a new file name and select Done. 9. To check the file, select Yes (if necessary). Trim any segment of videos 1. In Menu mode, select Video editor. 2. Select Files → Import video → a video category →...
Insert text Inserting text to a video may be unavailable depending on your service provider. 1. In Menu mode, select Video editor. 2. Select Files → Import video → a video category → a video → Add. 3. Select Edit → Insert → Text. 4.
8. Select Edit → Paste. 9. Save the edited video with a new file name. Refer to steps 7-9 in “Make a new video.” Upload photos and videos to the Learn to post your photos or videos to photo sharing websites and blogs.
4. Select Tap to add → a media file. 5. Enter the post details and select Upload. 6. Enter the user ID and password of the destination (if necessary). You can also upload media files from Camera or My files by selecting →...
Use Java-powered games and applications Learn to use games and applications powered by award-winning Java technology. The download of Java games or Java applications may not be supported depending on the software of the phone. Download games or applications 1. In Menu mode, select Games and more → More games.
Synchronise data Learn to synchronise the contacts, calendar events, tasks, and memos with the web server you have specified. You can also synchronise the contacts, calendar events, tasks, and emails with a Microsoft Exchange server. Synchronise data with a web server To create a synchronisation profile, 1.
5. Select an Exchange ActiveSync profile. Synchronisation with the Microsoft Exchange server you have specified starts. You may incur additional charges for accessing the server. To synchronise all items, 1. In Menu mode, select Exchange ActiveSync. 2. Select Sync. If you synchronise all items, you may incur charges for updating unnecessary items.
Add a world clock to your display With the dual clock widget, you can view clocks with two different time zones on your display. After you have created a world clock, 1. In Menu mode, select World clock. 2. Select Set as 2nd clock. 3.
Use the calculator 1. In Menu mode, select Calculator. 2. Use the keys that correspond to the calculator display to perform basic mathematical operations. Convert currencies or measurements 1. In Menu mode, select Convertor → a conversion type. 2. Enter the currencies or measurements and units in the appropriate fields.
Create new memos 1. In Menu mode, select Memo. 2. Select Create memo. 3. Enter your memo text and select Done. Manage your calendar Learn to change the calendar view and create events. Change the calendar view 1. In Menu mode, select Calendar. 2.
troubleshooting If you are having trouble with your mobile phone, try these troubleshooting procedures before contacting a service professional. When you turn on your phone or while you are using the phone, it prompts you to enter one of the following codes: Code Try this to solve the problem: When the phone lock feature is enabled,...
The phone prompts you to insert the SIM card. Ensure that the SIM card is installed correctly. Your phone displays “Service unavailable” or “Network error.” • When you are in areas with weak signals or poor reception, you may lose reception. Move to another area and try again.
The phone beeps and the battery icon flashes. Your battery is low. Recharge or replace the battery to continue using the phone. The audio quality of the call is poor. • Ensure that you are not blocking the phone’s internal antenna. •...
44 basic capturing, 32 editing, 59 viewing, 33 radio see FM radio ringtone Samsung PC Studio silent profile SIM card SOS message stopwatch see tools, stopwatch synchronisation creating a profile, 68 starting, 68 task...
(place and date of issue) (name and signature of authorised person) * It is not the address of Samsung Service Centre. For the address or the phone number of Samsung Service Centre, see the warranty card or contact the retailer where you purchased your product.
Some of the contents in this manual may differ from your phone depending on the software of the phone or your service provider. Printed in Korea World Wide Web Code No.:GH68-26171A http://www.samsungmobile.com English (EU). 09/2009. Rev. 1.0...