Some of the contents in this manual may differ from your phone depending on the software of the phone or your service provider. Printed in Korea World Wide Web Code No.:GH68-25545A http://www.samsungmobile.com English (EU). 09/2009. Rev. 1.1...
using this manual This user manual has been specially designed to guide you through the functions and features of your mobile phone. To get started quickly, refer to “introducing your mobile phone,” “assembling and preparing your mobile phone,” and “using basic functions.” Instructional icons Before you start, familiarise yourself with the icons you will see in this manual:...
→ Followed by—the order of options or menus you must select to perform a step; for example: In Menu mode, select Messages → Create message (represents Messages, followed by Create message) Square brackets—phone keys; for example: [ ] (represents the Power/ Menu exit key) <...
using basic functions ... 22 Turn your phone on and off ... 22 Access menus ... 23 Use shortcut menus from the shortcut toolbar ... 23 Customise your phone ... 24 Use basic call functions ... 26 Send and view messages ... 28 Add and find contacts ...
safety and usage information Comply with the following precautions to avoid dangerous or illegal situations and ensure peak performance of your mobile phone. Safety warnings Keep your phone away from small children and pets Keep your phone and all accessories out of the reach of small children or animals.
Handle and dispose of batteries and chargers with care • Use only Samsung-approved batteries and chargers specifically designed for your phone. Incompatible batteries and chargers can cause serious injuries or damage to your phone.
Do not use the phone if the screen is cracked or broken Broken glass or acrylic could cause injury to your hand and face. Bring the phone to a Samsung service centre to replace the screen. Damage caused by careless handling will void your...
Follow all safety warnings and regulations Comply with any regulations that restrict the use of a mobile phone in a certain area. Use only Samsung-approved accessories Using incompatible accessories may damage your phone or cause injury. Turn off the phone near medical...
Protect batteries and chargers from damage • Avoid exposing batteries to very cold or very hot temperatures (below 0° C/32° F or above 45° C/ 113° F). Extreme temperatures can reduce the charging capacity and life of your batteries. • Prevent batteries from contacting metal objects, as this can create a connection between the + and - terminals of your batteries and lead to temporary or permanent battery damage.
• If your phone has a camera flash or light, avoid using it. • Your phone may be damaged by exposure to magnetic fields. Do not use carrying cases or accessories with magnetic closures or allow your phone to come in contact with magnetic fields for extended periods of time.
• Disconnect chargers from power sources when not in use. • Use batteries only for their intended purpose. Handle SIM cards and memory cards with care • Do not remove a card while the phone is transferring or accessing information, as this could result in loss of data and/or damage to the card or phone.
European Radio & Terminal Telecommunications Equipment (R&TTE) directive. For more information about the SAR and related EU standards, visit the Samsung mobile phone website. Correct disposal of this product (Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment) (Applicable in the European Union and...
Household users should contact either the retailer where they purchased this product, or their local government office, for details of where and how they can take these items for environmentally safe recycling. Business users should contact their supplier and check the terms and conditions of the purchase contract.
Third party services may be terminated or interrupted at any time, and Samsung makes no representation or warranty that any content or service will remain available for any period of time. Content and services are transmitted by third parties by means of networks and transmission facilities over which Samsung has no control.
• The items supplied with your phone may vary depending on the software and accessories available in your region or offered by your service provider. You can obtain additional accessories from your local Samsung dealer. • The supplied accessories perform best for your phone.
Phone layout The front of your phone includes the following keys and features: 4-way navigation key Left softkey Volume key Dial key Mouthpiece Depending on your region, the composition of the QWERTY keyboard may differ. The rear of your phone includes the following keys and features: Headset jack Earpiece...
Keys Function Make or answer a call; In Idle mode, Dial retrieve recently dialed, missed, or received numbers Perform actions indicated at the Softkeys bottom of the display Scroll through menu options; In Idle 4-way mode, access user-defined menus navigation (depending on your service provider, pre-defined menus may differ) Select the highlighted menu option...
Function In Idle mode, open the new Message message screen; Access the Inbox (press and hold) Delete Delete characters in a text input field Enter Start a new line in a text input field Adjust the phone's volume; Silence Volume a ringtone for incoming calls or reject calls (press and hold) In Idle mode, turn on the camera...
Icons Learn about the icons that appear on your display. Icon Definition Signal strength GPRS network connected Transferring data via GPRS network EDGE network connected Transferring data via EDGE network Call in progress SOS message feature activated Connecting to secured web page Browsing the web Call diverting activated Roaming (outside of normal service area)
assembling and preparing your mobile phone Get started by assembling and setting up your mobile phone for its first use. Install the SIM card and battery When you subscribe to a cellular service, you will receive a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) with subscription details, such as your personal identification number (PIN) and optional services.
2. Insert the SIM card. • Place the SIM card in the phone with the gold-coloured contacts facing down. • Without inserting a SIM card, you can use your phone’s non-network services and some menus. 3. Insert the battery. 4. Replace the battery cover.
Charge the battery Before using the phone for the first time, you must charge the battery. 1. Open the cover to the multifunction jack and plug the small end of the travel adapter. With the triangle facing up Improperly connecting the travel adapter can cause serious damage to the phone.
Insert a memory card (optional) To store additional multimedia files, you must insert a memory card. Your phone accepts microSD™ or microSDHC™ memory cards up to 8 GB (depending on memory card manufacturer and type).. Formatting the memory card on a PC may cause incompatibility with your phone.
using basic functions Learn how to perform basic operations and use the main features of your mobile phone. Turn your phone on and off To turn your phone on, 1. Press and hold [ 2. Enter your PIN and press <OK> (if necessary). 3.
Access menus To access your phone’s menus, 1. In Idle mode, press <Menu> to access Menu mode. You may need to press the Confirm key to access Menu mode depending on your region or service provider. 2. Use the Navigation key to scroll to a menu or option.
4. Press <Save>, or press <Options> → Save. To deactivate the shortcuts toolbar, in Menu mode, select Settings → Display and light → Home screen → Shortcuts toolbar → Off → Save. Customise your phone Get more from your phone by customising it to match your preferences.
To create a phone profile, 1. In Menu mode, select Settings → Phone profiles. 2. Press <Options> → Create. 3. Enter a name for the profile and press <Save>. 4. Customise the sound settings as desired. 5. When you are finished, press <Save>. Select a wallpaper (Idle mode) 1.
• The first time you access a menu that requires a password, you will be prompted to create and confirm a password. • Samsung is not responsible for any loss of passwords or private information or other damages caused by illegal software.
Use the speakerphone feature 1. During a call, press the Confirm key → <Yes> to activate the speaker. 2. To switch back to the earpiece, press the Confirm key again. In noisy environments, you may have difficulty hearing the calls while using the speakerphone feature.
Send and view messages Learn to send or view text (SMS), multimedia (MMS), or email messages. Send a text or multimedia message 1. In Menu mode, select Messages → Create message → Message. You can also send messages by pressing [ in Idle mode.
Enter text When entering text on the QWERTY keyboard, you can use the following functions: • Press [ ] to change case or switch to Number mode. • Press [ ] to switch to Symbol mode. • Press [Alt] to enter characters on the upper half of the keys.
Add and find contacts Learn the basics of using the phonebook feature. Add a new contact 1. In Idle mode, enter a phone number and press <Options>. 2. Select Save contact → a memory location (phone or SIM) → New. 3.
Use basic camera functions Learn the basics to capture and view photos and videos. Capture photos 1. In Idle mode, press and hold [ camera. 2. Aim the lens at the subject and make any adjustments. 3. Press the Confirm key or [ ] to take a photo.
View videos In Menu mode, select My files → Videos → My video clips → a video file. Listen to music Learn how to listen to music via the music player or FM radio. Listen to the FM radio 1. Plug the supplied headset into the phone’s headset jack.
Listen to music files Start by transferring files to your phone or memory card: • Download from the wireless web. • Download from a PC with the optional Samsung PC Studio. p. 44 • Receive via Bluetooth. p. 48 • Copy to your memory card.
Browse the web Learn to access and bookmark your favourite web pages. • You may incur additional charges for accessing the web and downloading media. • The browser menu may be labelled differently depending on your service provider. Browse web pages 1.
using advanced functions Learn how to perform advanced operations and use additional features of your mobile phone. Use advanced call functions Learn about your phone’s additional calling capabilities. View and dial missed calls Your phone will display calls you have missed on the display.
Hold a call or retrieve a held call Press <Hold> to place a call on hold or press <Retrieve> to retrieve a held call. Dial a second call If your network supports this function, you can dial another number during a call: 1.
Call an international number 1. In Idle mode, press and hold  to insert the + character. 2. Enter the complete number you want to dial (country code, area code, and phone number), and then press [ ] to dial. Call a contact from the phonebook You can call numbers directly from the phonebook using stored contacts.
Use advanced phonebook functions Learn to create namecards, set speed dial numbers, and create groups of contacts. Create a namecard 1. In Menu mode, select Phonebook. 2. Press <Options> → My namecard. 3. Enter your personal details. 4. Press <Save>, or press <Options> → Save. You can send your namecard by attaching it to a message or email or transferring it via the Bluetooth wireless feature.
Create a group of contacts By creating groups of contacts, you can assign ringtones and caller ID photos to each group or send messages to an entire group. Start by creating a group: 1. In Menu mode, select Phonebook. 2. Scroll left or right to Groups. 3.
Create a multimedia template 1. In Menu mode, select Messages → Templates → Multimedia message templates. 2. Press <Options> → Create. 3. Create a multimedia message, with a subject and desired attachments, to use as your template. p. 28 4. Press <Options> → Save as template to save the template.
4. Scroll to a device and press <Select>. 5. Enter a PIN for the Bluetooth wireless feature or the other device’s Bluetooth PIN, if it has one, and press <OK>. When the owner of the other device enters the same PIN or accepts the connection, pairing is complete.
4. Make any necessary adjustments. 5. Press the Confirm key or [ ] to take series of photos. 6. Select photos to save and press < the photos. Capture divided photos 1. In Idle mode, press and hold [ camera. 2.
Option Function Timer Select the time delay Effects Apply a special effect Frames Add a decorative frame White balance Adjust the colour balance Viewfinder mode Change the preview screen Shortcuts View the shortcut information Before capturing a video, press < > to access the following options: Option Function...
1. Using an optional PC data cable, connect the multifunction jack on your phone to a PC. 2. Run Samsung PC Studio and copy files from the PC to the phone. Refer to the Samsung PC Studio help for more information.
Customise your music player settings Learn to adjust the playback and sound settings for your music player. 1. In Menu mode, select Music → Music player. 2. Press <Options> → Player settings. 3. Adjust the settings to customise your music player: Option Function...
5. Press <Options> → Add to channel list → Favourites. 6. Select a number you want to set. You can select this radio station from the FM radio screen by pressing the assigned number. Find information of music Learn to access an online music service and get information about the songs you hear while on the move.
using tools and applications Learn how to work with your mobile phone’s tools and additional applications. Use the Bluetooth wireless feature Learn about your phone’s ability to connect to other wireless devices for exchanging data and using hands-free features. Turn on the Bluetooth wireless feature 1.
Find and pair with other Bluetooth- enabled devices 1. In Menu mode, select Applications → Bluetooth → Search for new devices. 2. Scroll to a device and press <Select>. 3. Enter a PIN for the Bluetooth wireless feature or the other device’s Bluetooth PIN, if it has one, and press <OK>.
Activate and send an SOS message When you have an emergency, you can send an SOS message asking for help. 1. In Menu mode, select Messages → Settings → SOS messages → Sending options. 2. Scroll left or right to On. 3.
To activate the mobile tracker, 1. In Menu mode, select Settings → Security → Mobile tracker. 2. Enter your password and press <OK>. The first time you access Mobile tracker, you will be prompted to create and confirm a password. 3.
5. Speak into the microphone. 6. When you are finished speaking, press the Navigation key down. 7. Press <Set> to set the recording as a response for fake calls. Make a fake call You must set a shortcut key to make a fake call. p.
3. Control playback using the following keys: Function Confirm Pause or resume playback Volume Adjust the volume • Left: Skip backward; Scan backward in a file (press and hold) Navigation • Right: Skip forward; Scan forward in a file (press and hold) •...
Download games or applications 1. In Menu mode, select Applications → Games and more → More games. Your phone connects to the website preset by your service provider. 2. Search for a game or an application and download it to the phone. Play games 1.
5. Press <Save> to create your world clock. The world clock is set as the second clock. 6. To add more world clocks, repeat steps 2-5 above. Add a world clock to your display In Dual Clock Display mode, you can view clocks with two different time zones on your display.
3. Set alarm details. 4. Press <Save>. The auto power-up feature sets the phone to automatically turn on and sound the alarm at the designated time if the phone is turned off. Stop an alarm When the alarm sounds, • Press any key to stop the alarm without snooze. •...
Set a countdown timer 1. In Menu mode, select Applications → Timer. 2. Press <Set>. 3. Enter the length of time to count down and press <OK>. 4. Press the Confirm key to begin or pause the countdown. 5. When the timer expires, press <Exit> to stop the alert.
Manage your calendar Learn to change the calendar view and create events. Change the calendar view 1. In Menu mode, select Organiser → Calendar. 2. Press <Options> → View by → Day or Week. Create an event 1. In Menu mode, select Organiser → Calendar. 2.
troubleshooting If you are having trouble with your mobile phone, try these troubleshooting procedures before contacting a service professional. When you turn on your phone or while you are using the phone, it prompts you to enter one of the following codes: Code Try this to solve the problem: When the phone lock feature is enabled,...
The phone prompts you to insert the SIM card. Ensure that the SIM card is installed correctly. Your phone displays “Service unavailable” or “Not done.” • When you are in areas with weak signals or poor reception, you may lose reception. Move to another area and try again.
The audio quality of the call is poor. • Ensure that you are not blocking the phone’s internal antenna. • When you are in areas with weak signals or poor reception, you may lose reception. Move to another area and try again. You select a contact to call, but the call is not dialled.
contacts adding, 30 creating groups, 39 finding, 30 convertor see tools, convertor countdown timer see tools, countdown timer fake calls see calls, making fake calls FM radio listening to, 32 storing stations, 45 Fring messenger headset internet see web browser Java downloading applications, 53 downloading games, 53...
41 capturing, 31 viewing, 31 radio see FM radio ringtone Samsung PC Studio shortcut keys see shortcuts shortcuts silent profile SIM card SOS message stopwatch see tools, stopwatch task see tools, task templates inserting, 40...
(place and date of issue) (name and signature of authorised person) * It is not the address of Samsung Service Centre. For the address or the phone number of Samsung Service Centre, see the warranty card or contact the retailer where you purchased your phone.