Owner’s record The model and serial numbers are located on the bottom. Record the serial number in the space provided below. Refer to these numbers whenever you call upon your Sony dealer regarding this product. Model No. CCD- Serial No.
For the Sony Service Center nearest you call 1-800-222-SONY (United States only) For the Sony Factory Service Center nearest you call 416-499-SONY (Canada only) Caution: Do not handle damaged or leaking lithium ion battery.
Tips for using the battery pack ... 79 Maintenance information and precautions ... 81 Using your camcorder abroad ... 84 Trouble check ... 85 Specifications ... 89 Identifying the parts ... 90 Warning indicators ... 98 Index ... 99 CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
Precautions on camcorder care • Do not let sand get into the camcorder. When you use the camcorder on a sandy beach or in a dusty place, protect it from the sand or dust. Sand or dust may cause the unit to malfunction, and sometimes this malfunction cannot be repaired [a].
Checking supplied accessories Check that the following accessories are supplied with your camcorder. 1 Wireless Remote Commander (1) (p.94) 2 NP-F530 Battery pack (1) (p.6) 3 AC power adaptor (1) (p.6, 22) AC-V315 is for CCD-TR3300 for Canadian model AC-V316 or AC-V316A is for...
If allowed to charge for an additional hour or so, the battery pack will last for a longer period (full charge). Unplug the unit from the wall outlet, then remove the battery pack and install it into the camcorder. You can also use the battery pack before it is completely charged.
The available time for a fully charged battery is indicated outside parentheses. The available time for normal charged battery is indicated in parentheses. Battery life will be shorter if you use the camcorder in a cold environment. 1) Approximate continuous recording time indoors.
Installing the battery pack Align the grooves of the battery pack with the receptacles of the camcorder and slide the battery pack down until it catches on the battery release lever and clicks. To remove the battery pack While pressing BATT (battery) PUSH, slide the battery pack in the direction of the arrow.
When you use the camcorder for the first time, power on it and reset the date and time to your time before you start recording. (p.77) To save battery power, the picture in the viewfinder appears only when you bring your face close to the viewfinder with STANDBY up (Finder power save).
• In LP mode, you cannot record tapes in the Hi8 system. • When a tape recorded on this camcorder in LP mode is played back on other types of 8 mm camcorders or VCRs, the playback quality may not be as good as that on this camcorder.
• The right side [a] in the power zoom indicator shows the digital zooming zone, and the left side [b] shows the optical zooming zone. If you set the D ZOOM function to OFF, the [a] zone disappears. CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
(3) Press the – Œ side of EDITSEARCH momentarily; the last few seconds of the recorded portion play back (Rec Review). Hold down the – side of EDITSEARCH until the camcorder goes back to the scene you want. The last recorded portion is played back. To go forward, hold down the + side (Edit Search).
Connections for playback You can use this camcorder as a VCR by connecting it to your TV for playback. There are some ways to connect the camcorder to your TV. When monitoring the playback picture by connecting the camcorder to your TV, we recommend you to use house current for the power source.
Connect only the white plug for audio on both the Edit Station and the TV or VCR. With this connection, the sound is monaural. (not supplied) S-VIDEO IN VIDEO IN AUDIO IN (not supplied) S-VIDEO IN VIDEO IN AUDIO IN CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
(3) Insert the connecting plate into the guides at the bottom of the Edit Station. (4) Set the POWER switch of the camcorder to OFF. (5) Aligning the bottom of the camcorder with the arrow mark on the Edit Station, slide the camcorder along the guide until it clicks.
You can monitor the playback picture in the viewfinder. You can also monitor a picture on a TV screen, after connecting the camcorder to a TV or VCR. (1) While pressing the small green button on the POWER switch, set it to VTR.
Notes on playback • Streaks appear and the sound is muted in the various playback modes. • When playback pause mode lasts for 5 minutes, the camcorder automatically enters stop mode. • Horizontal noise appears at the center of the screen when you play back a tape in reverse or in various speed if the RC time code or the Data Code is displayed on the screen.
The Data Code is also displayed in the viewfinder and the display window. To display the date when you recorded Press DATE on the camcorder, or press DATA CODE on the Remote Commander. To make the date disappear, press DATE again or DATA CODE twice.
Advanced operations Using alternative power sources You can choose any of the following power sources for your camcorder: battery pack, house current, alkaline battery and 12/24 V car battery. Choose the appropriate power source depending on where you want to use your camcorder.
—CCD-TR3300 for Canadian model only After connecting the power cord to the house current and setting the POWER switch on the camcorder to OFF, you can charge the battery pack in either of the following two ways: (When charging begins, the CHARGE lamp lights.) •...
Using alternative power sources Using the battery case Use the battery case (supplied) and six size AA (LR6) Sony Alkaline batteries (not supplied). (1) Remove the battery holder from the battery case. (2) Insert six new alkaline batteries into the battery holder, following the marking on the holder to be sure the batteries are installed in the correct direction.
• Select TIME CODE to display the RC time code in order to edit more precisely. COMMANDER <ON/OFF> • Select ON when using the supplied Remote Commander for the camcorder. • Select OFF when not using the Remote Commander. BEEP <ON/OFF>...
• Normally select OFF. Hi8 <AUTO/OFF> • Normally select AUTO to have the camcorder automatically set the recording mode (Hi8 or standard 8 mm) depending upon the cassette type being used. • Select OFF to record a Hi8 tape in standard 8 mm format.
Press DATE or TIME again. The date or time indicator disappears. The recording continues. Note on the date or time indicator If you press DATE or TIME while you are recording in CINEMA mode, the indicators in the viewfinder move upwards. CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
When fading in [a] (1) While the camcorder is in Standby mode, press FADER/OVERLAP (only for CCD-TR3300), or FADER (only for CCD-TR2300). The fade indicator starts flashing. (2) Press START/STOP to start recording. The fade indicator stops flashing.
To cancel the fade-in/fade-out function Before pressing START/STOP, press FADER/OVERLAP (only for CCD-TR3300), or FADER (only for CCD-TR2300) until the fade indicator disappears. When the date or time indicator is displayed The date or time indicator does not fade in or fade out.
– Title • When you select the overlap function after using the following operations , the camcorder memorizes the image on the tape. As the image is being memorized, the OVERLAP indicator flashes quickly, and the picture you are shooting disappears from the viewfinder.
• When you select the wipe function after using the following operations , the camcorder memorizes the image on the tape. As the image is being memorized, the WIPE indicator flashes quickly, and the picture you are shooting disappears from the viewfinder.
The picture is sepia. NEG. ART [c] The picture is reversed. PASTEL [d] The contrast of the picture is emphasized, and the picture looks like an animated cartoon. SLIM [e] The picture expands vertically. STRETCH [f] The picture expands horizontally. CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
Press PICTURE EFFECT to highlight the picture effect indicator, and press the button again. The indicator in the viewfinder goes out. Note on the picture effect When you turn the power off, the camcorder returns automatically to normal mode. MOSAIC SOLARIZE B &...
• You cannot use the following functions while recording a still picture. – Fade-in or fade-out – Mosaic fader – Overlap – Wipe – Slow shutter • When you turn the power off, still mode will be cancelled automatically. STILL IIIIII CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
• The following functions does not work during the flash motion. – Fade-in or fade-out – Mosaic fader – Overlap – Wipe – Slow shutter • When you turn the power off, flash motion mode will be cancelled automatically. CCD-TR2300/TR3300 FLASH 3-856-204-23 (1)
• The following functions does not work during luminancekey. – Fade-in or fade-out – Mosaic fader – Overlap – Wipe – Slow shutter • When you turn the power off, luminancekey mode will be cancelled automatically. Moving picture CCD-TR2300/TR3300 LUMI. 3-856-204-23 (1)
COUNTER to NORMAL in the menu system to display the tape counter. (1) While the camcorder is in Standby mode, keep pressing the + (forward playback) or – (reverse playback) side of EDITSEARCH, and release the button where you want to end the insertion [b].
The picture in the viewfinder [d] or on a normal TV [e] is horizontally compressed. You can watch the picture of normal images on a wide-screen TV [f]. Using the wide mode function While the camcorder is in Standby mode, press 16:9WIDE repeatedly so that the desired mode indicator appears in the viewfinder. CINEMA...
• When you record in 16:9 FULL mode, the date or time indicator will be widened on the wide-screen TV. • If you dub a tape, the tape is copied in the same mode as the original recording. • The wide mode is cancelled automatically 5 minutes after you remove the power source. CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
(2) Turn STANDBY up and press START/STOP. Recording starts. If you selected 5 SEC, five dots appear in the viewfinder. The dots disappear at a rate of one per second. When 5 seconds elapse and all the dots disappear, the camcorder switches to Standby mode automatically.
Selecting the language (1) While the camcorder is in Standby mode, press MENU to display the menu. (2) Turn the control dial to select TITLE LANG, then press the dial. (3) Turn the control dial to select the desired language, then press the dial.
Using titles To add the title from the beginning (1) While the camcorder is in Standby mode, press TITLE repeatedly until the desired title appears. Each time a new title appears, it flashes. When the desired title appears, wait for it to stop flashing.
BLUE BLUE [MENU] : END MENU TITLE POS CENTER CENTER BOTTOM BOTTOM [MENU] : END BOTTOM HELLO HELLO CCD-TR2300/TR3300 MENU COMMANDER COUNTER ORC TO SET REC MODE TITLE COL YELLOW TITLE POS [MENU] : END MENU COUNTER ORC TO SET...
Making your own original titles You can make up to two titles and store them in the camcorder. Eject the cassette before you begin. Your title can have up to 22 letters. (1) While in Standby mode, press MENU to display the menu.
• The Steady Shot function will not correct excessive camera-shake. • If you install a wide conversion lens (not supplied), the camcorder may cause minor shading when STEADY SHOT is set to ON. In this case, set STEADY SHOT to OFF.
When you set ORC TO SET, the recording on the tape is erased for about 0.1 second so that the camcorder can check the tape condition. Be careful when you use a recorded tape. The 0.1 second blank is erased if you record from the point where you set ORC TO SET for more than 2 seconds, or if you record over the blank.
Selecting automatic/manual adjustment modes The camcorder’s automatic functions offer you worry-free operation under most shooting conditions. But in some circumstances, manual adjustment is better for creative recording. You can adjust focus, aperture, shutter speed, gain, and white balance automatically or manually.
(3) Turn the focus ring to achieve a sharp focus. Be sure to not touch the built-in microphone when you turn the focus ring. (4) Set the desired shot length using the power zoom lever. FOCUS AUTO MANUAL INFINITY CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
Use this function when shooting through a window or a screen, to focus on a more distant subject. Note on manual focusing The f indicator will change to the followings: : When recording an infinitely distant subject. : When there is something too close to focus on. CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
15 values: F1.6, F2, F2.4, F2.8, F3.4, F4, F4.8, F5.6, F6.8, F8, F9.6, F11, F14, F16, Fl9. For a smaller aperture, select a higher value. AUTO LOCK HOLD PROGRAM S (Shutter Priority) ˜ Å PROGRAM Display window AE A AE S A, then press the dial. 1000 F5.6 CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
Set AUTO LOCK/HOLD to AUTO LOCK, or press PROGRAM AE so that no indicator appears in the viewfinder. When the aperture value is automatically adjusted to F1.6 We recommend shooting in sunlight or using a video light (not supplied). S, then press the dial. 1000 F5.6 CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
Set AUTO LOCK/HOLD to AUTO LOCK, or press PROGRAM AE so that no indicator appears in the viewfinder. When shooting an excessively bright subject Autofocus may not work effectively. Focus manually then. Shutter speed 1/725 – 1/10000 1/125 – 1/500 1/100 1/90 CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
To return all the items to automatic mode, set AUTO LOCK/HOLD to AUTO LOCK. Note on gain level When you select a gain level that is too high, the picture may be distorted. CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
Press SHUTTER SPEED repeatedly until the shutter speed value indicator disappears in the viewfinder. When recording with slow shutter function • You cannot use flash motion, overlap, wipe, still or luminauncekey function. • Autofocus may not be effective. Focus manually using a tripod. CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
Notes on manual adjustment • When recording outdoors, the brightness of a subject may be affected by weather. • When recording conditions change, we recommend that you reset each item. CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
Set AE SHIFT to the center position in the menu system. When adjusting the brightness We recommend you to connect the camcorder to a TV so that you can monitor the brightness on the TV. Note on the AE shift You cannot change AE shift while adjusting the aperture manually.
• Under sodium lamps or mercury lamps When you shoot under a fluorescent lamp, however, we recommend you to adjust the white balance automatically. You may not get an appropriate white balance when you record in the indoor mode. CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
When shooting subjects under changing lighting conditions, set the white balance to the AUTO mode; the subject colors will remain consistent even under changing lighting conditions. ∑ Display window ∑ WHT BAL WHT BAL WHT BAL e CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
(2) Press WHT BAL, then turn the control dial to select one push white balance indicator. (3) Attach the supplied white lens cap and point the camcorder at a subject if you are shooting outdoors or at a source of light if shooting indoors.
Press one of the following tape transport buttons: ·, π, 0 or ). To view pictures during searching or scanning Press · and then press 0 or ). JUL. 4 1996 JUL. 7 1996 SEARCH DATE INDEX CCD-TR2300/TR3300 DATE SEARCH Display window DATE SEARCH 3-856-204-23 (1)
Searching the boundaries of recorded date Notes on Date Search and Date Scan mode • If a day’s recording is not longer than 2 minutes, the camcorder may not accurately find its boundaries. • Date Search and Date Scan do not function on a tape recorded by a camcorder without the Data Code function.
• If you mark an index signal on the tape with the Data Code recorded, the Data Code will be erased at the point on which the index signal is marked. When playing back this tape, the camcorder keeps displaying the Data Code immediately before the erased one.
If you want to continue playback, press ·. When you do not press any button, the tape is automatically scanned to the next program. SEARCH DATE INDEX To cancel index scan mode Press ·. Normal playback resumes. INDEX 00 SCAN CCD-TR2300/TR3300 INDEX 00 SCAN 3-856-204-23 (1)
SEARCH To stop index search mode Press ·. Normal playback resumes. Note on the index number The index number (1, 2, etc.) indicates the distance from the point you are now viewing [a], regardless of the direction. CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
This will not affect the recorded sound or picture. • The camcorder can detect index signals marked with VCRs, but cannot erase them. VCRs with an index function can detect index signals marked with this camcorder but cannot erase them.
Rewind the tape to the portion on which the RC time code has been written and set the camcorder to playback pause mode. Then follow steps 3 and 4 above. The RC time code is written continuously. Notes on writing the RC time code •...
VCR that has video/audio inputs. Before editing Connect the camcorder to the VCR as described in “Connections for playback” on page Set the input selector on the VCR to LINE, if available. (1) While pressing the small green button on the POWER switch, set it to VTR.
(1) Insert a blank tape (or a tape you want to record over) into the VCR, and insert your recorded tape into the camcorder. (2) Play back the recorded tape on the camcorder until you locate the point where you want to start editing, then press P to set the camcorder in playback pause mode.
If you are going to connect the camcorder using the S video cable (not supplied) [a], you do not need to connect the yellow (video) plug of the A/V connecting cable [b]. Do not connect the S video cable to the camcorder if your VCR or TV doesn’t have any S video jack.
(2) On the VCR, locate the start point to be inserted and set it to playback pause mode. (3) On the camcorder, locate the point where the insert should end by pressing 0 or ), then press P to set it to playback pause mode.
I indicator flashes in the viewfinder for about 5 seconds when you set the POWER switch to CAMERA. In this case, replace the battery with a Sony CR2025 or Duracell DL-2025 lithium battery. Use of any other battery may present a risk of fire or explosion.
When you press the same button again, the indicator goes off. The year indicator changes as follows: Note on the time indicator The internal clock of this camcorder operates on a 12-hour cycle. • 12:00 AM stands for midnight. • 12:00 PM stands for noon.
Note on AFM HiFi stereo When you play back a tape, the sound will be in monaural if: • You record the tape using this camcorder, then play it back on an AFM HiFi monaural video recorder/player. • You record the tape on an AFM HiFi monaural video recorder, then play it back on this camcorder.
When the i indicator in the viewfinder changes from slow flashing to rapid flashing while you are recording, set the POWER switch to OFF on the camcorder and replace the battery pack. Leave the tape in the camcorder to obtain a smooth transition between scenes after the battery pack has been replaced.
Battery pack care • Remove the battery pack from the camcorder after using it, and keep it in a cool place. When the battery pack is installed to the camcorder, a small amount of current flows to the camcorder even if the POWER switch is set to OFF.
Maintenance information and precautions Moisture condensation If the camcorder is brought directly from a cold place to a warm place, moisture may condense inside the camcorder, on the surface of the tape, or on the lens. In this condition, the tape may stick to the head drum and be damaged or the unit may not operate correctly.
[a] Slightly dirty [b] Very dirty If this happens, clean the video heads with the Sony V8-25CLH cleaning cassette (not supplied). After checking the picture, if it is still “noisy,” repeat the cleaning. (Do not repeat cleaning more than 5 times in one session.) Caution Do not use a commercially available wet-type cleaning cassette.
• Do not place the unit in locations that are: – Extremely hot or cold – Dusty or dirty – Very humid – Vibrating If any difficulty should arise, unplug the unit and contact your nearest Sony dealer. CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1)
Using your camcorder abroad Each country has its own electric and TV color systems. Before using your camcorder abroad, check the following points. Power sources You can use your camcorder in any country with the supplied AC power adaptor within 110 V to 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz.
Trouble check If you run into any problem using the camcorder, use the following table to troubleshoot the problem. Should the difficulty persist, disconnect the power source and contact your Sony dealer or local authorized Sony service facility. Camcorder Power...
Use a charged battery pack or the AC power adaptor. (p.6, 22) • Moisture condensation has occurred. m Remove the cassette and leave the camcorder for at least 1 hour. (p.9) • You pressed DATE and TIME together for more than 2 seconds.
Change locations. m Press DISPLAY on the Remote Commander. (p.19) m Set it to OFF. (p.27) m Clean the heads using the Sony V8-25CLH cleaning cassette (not supplied). (p.82) m Set it to the center position. (p.61) m Set it to the center position. (p.26) balance indicator appears in the viewfinder.
When the CHARGE lamp flashes again The problem is with the AC power adaptor. Please contact your nearest Sony dealer in connection with the problem. * If you use a battery pack which you have just bought or which has been left unused for a long time, the CHARGE lamp may flash at the first charging.
DC OUT: 8.4 V, 1.9 A in operating mode Battery charge terminal: 8.4 V, 1.4 A in charge mode Application Sony battery packs NP-F530, NP-F730 lithium ion type Operating temperature 32°F to 104°F (0°C to 40°C) Storage temperature –4°F to +140°F (–20°C to +60°C) Dimensions (Approx.)
(p.16) @¢ S VIDEO jack (p.16, 17) @∞ VIDEO/AUDIO jacks (p.16, 17) @§ MIC jack (PLUG IN POWER) Connect an external microphone (not supplied). This jack also accepts a “plug-in- power” microphone. CCD-TR2300/TR3300 3-856-204-23 (1) @£ @¢ @∞ @§...
To Watch the demonstration You can watch a brief demonstration of pictures with special effects. If the demonstration appears when you turn on the camcorder for the first time, exit the demo mode to use your camcorder. To enter Demo mode (1) Remove the cassette and set the POWER switch to VTR.
Identifying the parts Remote Commander The buttons that have the same name on the Remote Commander as on the camcorder function identically. 1 COUNTER RESET button (p.11, 38, 66) 2 TIME CODE WRITE button (p.71) 3 INDEX MARK (p.67) 4 DATE SEARCH button (p.65) 5 Tape transport buttons (p.19)
• This camcorder works in commander mode VTR 2. The commander modes (1, 2 and 3) are used to distinguish this camcorder from other Sony VCRs to avoid remote control misoperation. If you use another Sony VCR in commander mode VTR 2, we recommend you change the commander mode or cover the remote sensor of the VCR with black paper.
(p.82) This indicator appears only on the viewfinder. 8 Some other trouble has occurred. Disconnect the power source and contact your Sony dealer or local authorized facility. 9 The lithium battery is weak or is not installed. (p.76) CCD-TR2300/TR3300 5min...