Some contents in this manual may differ from your phone depending on the software of the phone or your service provider. Printed in Korea World Wide Web Code No.:GH68-23246A http://www.samsungmobile.com English (SEA). 04/2009. Rev. 1.0...
using this manual This user manual has been specially designed to guide you through the functions and features of your mobile phone. To get started quickly, refer to “introducing your mobile phone,” “assembling and preparing your mobile phone,” and “using basic functions.” Instructional icons Before you start, familiarize yourself with the icons you will see in this manual:...
→ Followed by—the order of options or menus you must select to perform a step; for example: In Menu mode, touch Messages → Create message (represents Messages, followed by Create message) Square brackets—phone keys; for example: [ ] (represents the Power/ Menu exit key) Copyright information Rights to all technologies and products that...
Access menus ... 24 Switch applications ... 24 Use widgets ... 25 Access help information ... 26 Customize your phone ... 26 Use basic call functions ... 28 Send and view messages ... 29 Add and find contacts ... 31 Use basic camera functions ...
safety and usage information Comply with the following precautions to avoid dangerous or illegal situations and ensure peak performance of your mobile phone. Safety warnings Keep your phone away from small children and pets Keep your phone and all accessories out of reach of small children or animals.
Handle and dispose of batteries and chargers with care • Use only Samsung-approved batteries and chargers specifically designed for your phone. Incompatible batteries and chargers can cause serious injuries or damage to your phone.
Follow all safety warnings and regulations Comply with any regulations that restrict the use of a mobile phone in a certain area. Use only Samsung-approved accessories Using incompatible accessories may damage your phone or cause injury.
Turn off the phone near medical equipment Your phone can interfere with medical equipment in hospitals or health care facilities. Follow all regulations, posted warnings, and directions from medical personnel. Turn off the phone or disable the wireless functions when in an aircraft Your phone can cause interference with aircraft equipment.
• Avoid using or storing your phone in dusty, dirty areas to prevent damage to moving parts. • Your phone is a complex electronic device— protect it from impacts and rough handling to avoid serious damage. • Do not paint your phone, as paint can clog moving parts and prevent proper operation.
Important usage information Use your phone in the normal position Avoid contact with your phone’s internal antenna. Allow only qualified personnel to service your phone Allowing non-qualified personnel to service your phone may result in damage to your phone and will void your warranty.
By automatically emitting lower levels when possible, your phone reduces your overall exposure to RF energy. For more information about the SAR and related EU standards, visit the Samsung mobile phone website.
Correct disposal of this product (Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment) (Applicable in the European Union and other European countries with separate collection systems) This marking on the product, accessories or literature indicates that the product and its electronic accessories (e.g. charger, headset, USB cable) should not be disposed of with other household waste at the end of their working life.
YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES." Third party services may be terminated or interrupted at any time, and Samsung makes no representation or warranty that any content or service will remain available for any period of time. Content and...
• Travel adapter (charger) • User manual The items supplied with your phone may vary depending on the software and accessories available in your region or offered by your service provider. You can purchase additional accessories from your local Samsung dealer.
Phone layout The front of your phone includes the following keys and features: Earpiece Mouthpiece for video calls speakerphone Volume key Back key Dial key Mouthpiece for voice calls The rear of your phone includes the following keys and features: Front camera Rear camera lens for video...
Keys Function Make or answer a call; In Idle mode, Dial retrieve recently dialed, missed, or received numbers In Menu mode, return to the previous level; Open the application Back switch window to access other applications without exiting the current application (press and hold) Turn the phone on and off (press Power/ and hold);...
Display Your phone’s display consists of three areas: Icon line Displays various icons Text and graphic area Displays messages, instructions, and information you enter Icons Learn about the icons that appear on your display. Icon Definition Signal strength GPRS network connected EDGE network connected UMTS network connected HSDPA network connected...
Icon Definition Call diverting activated Bluetooth activated Bluetooth hands-free car kit or headset connected Synchronized with PC New text message (SMS) New multimedia message (MMS) New email message New voice mail message New push message New configuration message Alarm activated Icon Definition Memory card inserted...
Install the SIM or USIM card and assembling and battery When you subscribe to a cellular service, you will preparing your receive a Subscriber Identity Module, or SIM card, with subscription details, such as your personal identification number (PIN) and optional services. mobile phone To use UMTS or HSDPA services, you can purchase a Universal Subscriber Identity Module (USIM) card.
To install the SIM or USIM card and battery, 1. Remove the battery cover and battery. If the phone is on, press and hold [ it off. 2. Insert the SIM or USIM card. Place the SIM or USIM card in the phone with the gold-colored contacts facing down.
3. Insert the battery. 4. Replace the battery cover. Charge the battery Before using the phone for the first time, you must charge the battery. 1. Open the cover to the multifunction jack. 2. Plug the small end of the travel adapter into the multifunction jack.
3. Plug the large end of the travel adapter into a power outlet. 4. When the battery is fully charged (the no longer moving), unplug the travel adapter from the power outlet. 5. Unplug the travel adapter from the phone. 6.
3. Lift the memory card cover and insert a memory card with the label side facing up. 4. Close and lock the memory card cover. 5. Insert the battery. 6. Replace the battery cover. To remove the memory card, open the memory card cover and remove the memory card.
using basic functions Learn how to perform basic operations and use the main features of your mobile phone. Turn your phone on and off To turn your phone on, 1. Press and hold [ 2. Enter your PIN and touch Confirm (if necessary). To turn your phone off, repeat step 1above.
Use the touch screen Your phone’s touch screen lets you easily select items or perform functions. Learn basic actions to use the touch screen. For the optimal use of the touch screen, remove the screen protection film before using your phone. Do not allow the touch screen to come in contact with conductive elements, such as water.
• Drag your finger left or right to scroll through horizontal lists. Access menus To access your phone’s menus, 1. In Idle mode, touch Menu to access Menu mode. 2. Touch a menu icon → a menu or option. 3. Press the Back key to move up one level; Press ] to return to Idle mode.
The following applications are available: • Call: open the dialing screen • Music player: launch the music player • Messages: access the Messages menu • Browser: launch the web browser • Main menu: access the main menu screen 2. Select an application. Use widgets Learn to use widgets on the toolbar.
Change the widgets 1. In Menu mode, touch Settings → Display and light → Widget. 2. Select the widgets you want to include to the toolbar and touch Save. Access help information Learn to access helpful information about your phone. 1.
• The first time you access a menu that requires a password, you will be prompted to create and confirm a password. • Samsung is not responsible for any loss of passwords or private information or other damages caused by illegal software.
Use basic call functions Learn to make or answer calls and use basic call functions. During a call, your phone automatically locks the touch screen to prevent accidental inputs. To unlock, press the Hold key. Make a call 1. In Idle mode, touch Keypad and enter an area code and a phone number.
Use the headset By plugging the supplied headset into the phone, you can make and answer calls: • To redial the last call, press the headset button, and then press again and hold. • To answer a call, press the headset button. •...
8. Touch Add files → an item type and attach a file (if necessary). 9. Touch Send to send the message. Enter text When entering text, you can change the text input mode: • To change case or switch to Number or Symbol mode, touch T9Ab.
View an email 1. In Menu mode, touch Messages → Email inbox. 2. Select an account. 3. Touch Download. 4. Select an email or a header. 5. If you selected a header, touch Retrieve to view the body of the email. Add and find contacts Learn the basics of using the phonebook feature.
Use basic camera functions Learn the basics to capture and view photos and videos. Capture photos 1. In Idle mode, press the Camera key to turn on the camera. 2. Rotate the phone counterclockwise to landscape view. 3. Aim the lens at the subject and make any adjustments.
6. To turn off the FM radio, touch Listen to music files Start by transferring files to your phone or memory card: • Download from the wireless web. • Download from a PC with the optional Samsung PC Studio. p. 41 • Receive via Bluetooth. p. 45 •...
After transferring music files to your phone or memory card, 1. In Menu mode, touch Music → Music player. 2. Select a music category → a music file. 3. Control playback using the following icons: Icon Function Pause playback Play playback Skip backward;...
Icon Function Refresh the current web page Return to the homepage Open a list of saved bookmarks Change the view mode Access a list of browser options Bookmark your favorite web pages 1. In Menu mode, touch Browser → Bookmarks. 2.
using advanced functions Learn how to perform advanced operations and use additional features of your mobile phone. Use advanced call functions Learn about your phone’s additional calling capabilities. View and dial missed calls Your phone will display calls you have missed on the display.
Hold a call or retrieve a held call Touch Hold to place a call on hold or touch Retrieve to retrieve a held call. Dial a second call If your network supports this function, you can dial another number during a call: 1.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to add more parties (if necessary). 5. To end the multiparty call, press [ Call an international number 1. In Idle mode, touch Keypad and touch and hold 0 to insert the + character. 2.
4. Select a contact. The first five speed dial numbers will be assigned to the favorite contacts ( widget toolbar. Create a group of contacts By creating groups of contacts, you can assign ringtones and caller ID photos to each group or send messages or emails to an entire group.
3. Touch the screen. 4. Enter your text and touch Done. 5. Touch Save. Create a multimedia template 1. In Menu mode, touch Messages → Templates → Multimedia templates. 2. Touch Create to open a new template window. 3. Create a multimedia message, with a subject and desired attachments, to use as your template.
2. Using an optional PC data cable, connect the multifunction jack on your phone to a PC. 3. Run Samsung PC Studio and copy files from the PC to the phone. Refer to the Samsung PC Studio help for more information.
Synchronize your phone with Windows Media Player 1. In Menu mode, touch Settings → Phone settings → PC connections → Media player. 2. Using an optional PC data cable, connect the multifunction jack on your phone to a PC with Windows Media Player installed.
Customize your music player settings Learn to adjust the settings for your music player. 1. In Menu mode, touch Music → Music player. 2. Touch Settings. 3. Adjust the settings to customize your music player. 4. Touch Save. Store radio stations automatically 1.
using tools and applications Learn how to work with your mobile phone’s tools and additional applications. Use the Bluetooth wireless feature Learn about your phone’s ability to connect to other wireless devices for exchanging data and using hands-free features. Turn on the Bluetooth wireless feature 1.
Find and pair with other Bluetooth- enabled devices 1. In Menu mode, touch Applications → Bluetooth → Search. 2. Select and drag a device icon into the centre. 3. Enter a PIN for the Bluetooth wireless feature or the other device’s Bluetooth PIN, if it has one, and touch Done.
To use Remote SIM mode, start the Bluetooth connection from a Bluetooth hands-free car kit. The Bluetooth hands-free car kit must be authorized. To authorize, touch the device and select Authorize device. Activate the mobile tracker When someone inserts a new SIM or USIM card in your phone, the mobile tracker feature will automatically send the contact number to two recipients to help you locate and recover your...
2. Touch On under Fake call voice. 3. Touch Voice recorder. 4. Touch to start recording. 5. Speak into the microphone. 6. When you are finished speaking, touch Make a fake call To make a fake call, press and hold the Volume key down in Idle mode.
Edit images Learn to edit images and apply fun effects. Apply effects to images 1. In Menu mode, touch My files → Images → My photos → a photo file. 2. Touch 3. Touch Edit → Effects → an effect option. 4.
Transform an image 1. In Menu mode, touch My files → Images → My photos → a photo file. Touch 3. Touch Edit → Transform → Resize, Rotate, or Flip. 4. Rotate or flip the image as desired and touch Done.
3. Touch Edit → Insert → a visual feature (frame, image, clip art, emoticon, or text). 4. Select a visual feature or enter text. 5. Touch Done. 6. When you are finished adding visual features, touch Files → Save as. 7.
To print an image using the Bluetooth wireless feature, 1. In Menu mode, touch My files → Images → My photos. 2. Touch More → Print via → Bluetooth. 3. Select a Bluetooth-enabled printer and pair with the printer. p. 45 4.
Upload a file To upload photos and videos, you must have accounts of photo sharing websites and blogs. 1. In Menu mode, touch Applications → Communities → Upload to web. 2. Select a destination you want to post to. 3. Touch Tap to add and select a media file. 4.
Launch applications 1. In Menu mode, touch Applications → Games and more → an application. 2. Touch More to access a list of various options and settings for your application. Synchronize data Learn to synchronize contacts, calendar, task, and memo with the web server you have specified. Create a synchronization profile 1.
4. Enter the address of an RSS feed and touch Done. 5. Touch OK. Read RSS feeds 1. In Menu mode, touch Applications → RSS reader. 2. Touch Update to get the latest contents. 3. Select a feed category → an updated feed. Customize RSS reader settings 1.
→ Set as 2nd clock. 2. Touch 3. Select the world clock you want to add. 4. Touch Set. Set and use alarms Learn to set and control alarms for important events. Set a new alarm 1. In Menu mode, touch Alarms. 2.
Use the calculator 1. In Menu mode, touch Organizer → Calculator. 2. Use the keys that correspond to the calculator display to perform basic mathematical operations. Convert currencies or measurements 1. In Menu mode, touch Organizer → Converter → a conversion type. 2.
Create a new task 1. In Menu mode, touch Organizer → Task. 2. Touch Create task. 3. Enter the details of the task. 4. Touch Save. Create a text memo 1. In Menu mode, touch Organizer → Memo. 2. Touch Create memo. 3.
troubleshooting If you are having trouble with your mobile phone, try these troubleshooting procedures before contacting a service professional. While using your phone, the following messages may appear: Message Try this to solve the problem: Insert SIM card to Ensure that the SIM or USIM card is access installed correctly.
Your phone displays “Service unavailable” or “Network error.” • When you are in areas with weak signals or poor reception, you may lose reception. Move to another area and try again. • You cannot access some options without a subscription. Contact your service provider for more details.
The phone beeps and the battery icon flashes. Your battery is low. Recharge or replace the battery to continue using the phone. The audio quality of the call is poor. • Ensure that you are not blocking the phone’s internal antenna. •...