INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK
• When a cord and plug connection to the power supply are used on
water heater, power cord must be UL listed as suitable for damp
CRITICAL INSTALLATION WARNINGS
locations, hard or extra hard usage. It must be a flexible cord such
• Install in recreation vehicles only. RV's are recreation vehicles
as type S, SO, ST, STO, SJ, SJT, SJTO, HS or HSO cord as described
designed as temporary living quarters for recreation, camping, or
in National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA 70. The length of external
travel use having their own power or towed by another vehicle.
cord to water heater, measured to face of attachment plug, shall be
• All combustion air must be supplied from outside the RV, and all
no less than 2 feet nor more than 6 feet. Supply cord must be a
products of combustion must be vented to outside the RV.
minimum of 14 AWG and attachment plug must be rated at 15 amps.
vent water heater with venting system serving another
vent water heater to an outside enclosed porch area.
• Protect building materials from flue gas exhaust.
• Install water heater on an exterior wall, with access door opening to
Label all wires before disconnecting when servicing controls.
Verify proper operation after servicing.
modify water heater in any way.
alter water heater for a positive grounding system.
HI-POT water heater unless electronic ignition system
: It is recommended unit be connected directly to a 12V DC
(circuit board) has been disconnected.
battery or to filtered side of an AC/DC converter. Avoid connections to
use battery charger to supply power to water heater even
unfiltered side of an AC/DC converter whenever possible. Use a
minimum of 18 gauge wire, UL and CSA listed.
1. Refer to Wiring Diagram (
12). Install remote switch in a
USA AND CANADA
FOLLOW ALL APPLICABLE STATE AND LOCAL CODES
convenient location. Position wall plate with letters up. Before
IN THE ABSENCE OF LOCAL CODES OR REGULATIONS
REFER TO CURRENT STANDARDS OF
making connections turn switch OFF.
• Recreation Vehicles ANSI A119.2/NFPA 501C.
2. Install wires see
10 & 11.
• National Fuel Gas Code ANSI Z223.1 and/or CAN/CGA B149 Installation Codes
• Federal Mobile Home Construction & Safety Standard, Title 24 CFR, part
HEAT EXCHANGE MODELS -
3280, or when this Standard is not applicable, the Standard for Manufactured
1. Push a 5/8˝ diameter coolant system hose (5-A) [with SAE 053 A
Home Installations (Manufactured Home Sites, Communities and Set-Ups),
Type "E"clamp attached] onto heat exchanger tube (5-B) making a
ANSI A255.1 and/or CAN/CSA-Z240 MH Series, Mobile Homes.
• National Electrical Code ANSI/NFPA No. 70 and/or CSA C22.1
2. Spread hose clamp and slide toward heat exchange unit past
• Park Trailers A119.5
annular groove (5-C) and release.
• CSA standard Z240 RV Series, Recreational Vehicle.
3. Continue to HOW TO OPERATE YOUR WATER HEATER and/or Electronic
• ASSE Standard 1017 (Mixing Value).
• NSF Standard ANSI/NSF 14-2003 (All Hoses and Plastic Fittings).
CONTINUE GENERAL INSTALLATION
4. Connect both 1/2˝ NPT water lines (
2) hot water outlet female
and cold water inlet female and 3/8˝ flared LP gas line to the water
This is a common installation for water heaters. There are other
approved methods such as Flush Mount (MPD 93948) installations.
a. Allow flexibility in water and gas lines so you can pull unit
Consult with your Field Auditor, Account Manager, or the Atwood
forward through wall one inch past skin.
Service Department if you have additional questions.
b. Seal gas line entrance opening (
9) by sliding grommet (9-B)
1. Locate water heater on floor of coach before erecting side walls.
onto 3/8˝ tubing (9-D) before flaring tubing (9-E). Pull gas line and
The water heater tank must be permanently supported at the same
grommet through opening in housing (9-A). Connect flare fitting
level as the bottom of sidewall cutout (by the floor or a raised floor)
(9-C) and press grommet into opening. If gas line tubing is
2. Provide adequate clearance at rear of unit for service of water
already flared, cut grommet on one side. Place split grommet
over gas line and press it into opening.
2. To install water heater on carpeting, you must install appliance on a
c. Always use pipe lubricant on threads when connecting hot and
metal or wood panel that extends at least three inches beyond the
cold water couplings. A suitable plastic fitting is recommended.
full width and depth of appliance.
3. If the appliance is installed where connection or tank leakage will
damage adjacent area, install a drain pan (which can be drained to
out side of coach) under water heater.
• Do not lift, pull, push or misalign the main burner tube (
All wiring must comply with applicable electrical codes.
5. Erect side walls and cut opening. See chart and
Frame with 2x2 lumber (or equivalent).
COMBINATION GAS/ELECTRIC MODELS are designed to operate with gas,
electricity, or a combination of both.
(FIG 1 & 2)
• Use electrical metallic tubing, flexible metal conduit, metal clad
cable, or nonmetallic-sheathed cable with grounding conductor. Wire
CUT OUT DIMENSION
must have a capacity of 1400 watts or greater. The wiring method
must conform to applicable sections of article 551 of National
Electrical Code ANSI/NFPA 70.
1. Refer to Wiring Diagram (
12). Make 120 VAC electrical
MINIMUM CLEARANCE FROM COMBUSTIBLE CONSTRUCTION
connections from junction box on back of unit.
a. Connect hot lead to (1) Black.
b. Connect common lead to (2) White.
c. Connect ground wire from electrical service to (3) green ground
6. Bend all flanges 90˚ along scored lines (
lead in junction box 3.
7. To prevent water leaks caulk thoroughly around opening, including
bend slots. Butyl Tape (1-1/3˝x1/8˝) may be substituted for caulking
8. Push unit against caulking, secure 4-corner brackets (
coach with No. 8 - 3/4˝ round head screws (not furnished) or equivalent.
Complete the installation by inserting the same type of #8 screws in the
• When using Romex
with a bare earth ground, take care to position
holes provided around the flange of the water heater housing. Check all
ground wire so it does not contact the heating element terminals.
gaskets, they must adhere to the pan creating an air tight seal.